Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bad Disc c-5/6

KarebearKKarebear Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:52 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Would love to hear from any people who have this and have had surgery, what to expect. thanks! :W
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Karen,

Nice to see you back with us woman! My first disk to go was C5/6. Mine was herniated on the cord and the right exit nerve root. Due to risk of paralysis I underwent and ACDF (Anterior Cervical Disectomy & Fusion). The surgery for that level relieved all pain, numbness and restored function.

For me, I checked into the hospital at 0500, was given another "little" pre op clearance from the surgical admittance doctor. Once cleared I was brought to the pre surgical ward to change into my lovely hospital attire and a final urinalysis. (pregnancy verification). After being put onto a gurney I was hooked up to IV's and a few more questions to include verification I was me, and I knew what surgery I was about to undertake.

A short time after that the Anesthesiologist introduced himself, went over my records. My surgeon then checked in, reconfirmed the surgery we agreed upon. Shortly after that I was knocked out and off to surgery. Surgery was at 0700 (per the OR notes lasted 1:10), and I awoke in recovery around 2pm. Back in my room around 4, stayed overnight and was released at around 11am the next day wearing a hard collar (Aspen).

I was given a weeks worth of Percocet and a muscle relaxer (can't recall what its name was - sorry). Recovery wasn't too bad - sore (lump like) throat, minor surgical pain, prior herniated disk symptoms gone. At day 10 I had my first post op with my surgeon. All was going per schedule and I was removed from the hard collar. I was given a soft collar for use in the car, or out and about - more so for *my* internal security as the hardware is pretty darn hardy. I was off all pain medication too after that.

I found with that level it was more comfortable to sleep in a recliner for the first 2 months, then back into my regular bed. I was in law enforcement, so my surgeon didn't let me go back to work (light duty) until the end of week six. I was released for FULL duty at 4 months. Most people if in less aggressive jobs, the restrictions are far less. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help further. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • for response! just found it..having hard time finding my way around this website/etc. the info was helpful. hm..my dr told me theres a risk of paralysis...yet ive postponed my surgery as i have no sick time/and would have to pay my work for the cost of my ins and cant do that...so. do you think its ok im waiting to 6/20? I have a soft neck brace im wearing, and im not driving, having my hubby drop me at work...
  • Karebear,

None of us can tell you if delaying will cause problems, that will have to come from your surgeon. I know on my first fusion, I put it off for 2 years (regret that now) with the risk of paralysis. Fortunately for that level (C5/6) all turned out well - just had 2 years of ridiculous pain I didn't need to have! (G)

Without knowing what you do for work, not driving, and having a supportive hubby is probably a win win you your situation. :) Please let us know how it goes. Gentle support *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Last August I had my c5/6 replaced. My surgeon recommended the "taking the bone from your hip" process so that's what I did. When I woke up from surgery, the pain in my neck, the headache, and the severe arm pain was gone. I did not realize until they moved me from the gurney to the bed that my hip hurt but I was up and moving around pretty quickly.

I too slept in the recliner a few nights and was more living in fear of messing something up than in pain. I hobbled around for about six weeks on the hip but was back at work part time in two weeks and full time in four. Even hobbling, I could get my desk job done pretty well.

A few weeks after my surgery, my husband had an MRI done and while his doctor- a different doctor was reviewing his MRI - I immediately recognized the disk and the problem...it was the same as mine. He had a cadaver bone and hardware placed during his surgery. He was home by 7:00 that evening and get this...in the bed. I could not lay down for a few days...my neck was just too tender. He was able to lay down without complaint. It could be the person or the process. I really do not know. He never had the severe symptoms I had so his herniation had not reached the level mine had so I wonder if he was simply not as aware of the problems to begin with thus the pain just never really set in. I do not know.

Both of us have fully fused and recovered. I am having additional problems with c4/5 now but they were sort of there previously. I have been informed only recently that I have "congenital narrowing" of my cervical spinal canal...so I suppose I am going to face more issues in the future. In his case, he suffered a fall and hit his head which induced an injury.

Two stories but both of us had positive outcomes.
  • Thaks all! Was not even aware where to find responses, lol. Just learning my away around this site. I have been approved for full pay and insurance, so my surgery may be moved up to June 14th..won't know until 6/6 when surgeon scheduler returns. I am anxious to get it done as i am in pain constantly, taking hydrocodone/acet. several times a day...hurts to move my head, constant neck and head pain...they never said anything to me aboutwhat was being put in my neck or harvesting from another part of my body-dont think thats happening...does that sound right?
  • Haven't gotten alot of info on what to expect after surgery when you go home-do you need someone there for the first 24 hours or so? can you do most household things? How long before you can drive comfortably? I am a data entry operator...expecting to be out just four weeks, but have been told I can take as much as is needed.
    Thank you! :)
  • I think having someone there for the first 24 hours is probably good, but all you will want to do is sit or lie still. Milkshakes tasted wonderful, but I did not have much interest in eating for a week or so. My husband became an expert milkshake maker or he would stop and buy me one. I had two levels done (C5-C7) and the worst part of my rehab was the muscle spasms, but once I got on a muscle relaxer, I was much better. I was not pain free, but I did start driving after a week or two (with doctor's permission) and started going to work in week 3, but did not stay in the office for a full day until around week 5. I was not required to wear any kind of neck brace after that surgery. I think I was brought back 3 times over the next 4 months for xrays to make sure I was fusing, but had no problems with that either and was released at 6 months, again not pain free, but the arm and hand pain and weakness was completely gone.

Best wishes on your surgery!
advertisement