Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

daisy maeddaisy mae Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Pain Medications
Hello everyone!!!!

I was just curious..for those who take Neurontin what are the times you take it at? My dr wants me to take it 3 times a day. Today is the first day I added the 3rd..I get up at 4:30 I take one then, then at lunch and maybe at dinner? I added the lunch one today, I'm used to the am one and the dinner one so I was just curious how you guys stagger them and if there was a problem not taking them at a certain time??? Thanks :)

• Hi,
    I take 800mg 4x a day. 5:30am, 11:00am, 6:00pm & 10:00pm. I have done this for three years with no issues. It works very well for the nerve pain.
    God Bless,
  • Thanks for the reply! All went well ..but I am hungry all of a sudden. Is that normal? I'm worried about eating too much..I'm terrified of gaining any weight as I worked so hard to be at 125. :(
  • I take Neurontin every 6 to 8 hours. Have since 1998. No problems. When I have tried to reduce my dose, and start back up again, I do have to be cautious of "the munchies". They eventually go away.

Kindest regards,

• Oh wow! Thanks for the reassurance. The "hunger" feelings I have been getting is almost as strong as a pregnancy hunger! ROFL!! Good to know that it will pass......it can hurry up any time...just sayin'.
    Thanks! :)
  • One thing about Neurontin is that it requires that we have an adequate intake of water daily. By drinking plenty of water, it also helps stave off the worst of the munchies.

• Have you found that this med causes weight gain? And does it have a calming effect?
  • I have found the only weight gain caused by Neurontin is the fact it makes me crave sweets. If I control my intake then I have no issues with weight gain. Have been on this drug since 1998.

Couldn't say anything about calming effect. Don't know that I have experienced that with Neurontin.

• Oh man does this medication cause the munchies! I usually take my first dose in the early morning around 5:30-6:00, my second around 10:30-11:00, third around 3:00-3:30 and my last dose around 7:30-8:00. Since I started taking this Med last december I have gained around 30 pounds. Its horrible, I guess some people are different. I just have a super hard time controlling my sweet tooth. The weight gain is for sure not helping with my pain at all. Good luck and best wishes!
  • I take neurontin 3x a day. It does not give me the munchies. I wish it did. My chronic pain has killed my appetite.

I don't know about calming effect. I also take a muscle relaxer 2x a day.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • harrietgate said:
    Have you found that this med causes weight gain? And does it have a calming effect?
    I take about 2100 Mg a day, since march. I don't feel like it makes me drowsey but i can fall asleep unexpectedly. I don't drive a lot.
    My therapist told me it was considered a mood stabilizer. It makes me feel euphoric and often talkative.

I have had the munchies all my life so I just try to eat healthy snacks.