Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

please advise.. pain weeks after micro discectomy

lmp81llmp81 Posts: 4
hi all,

History : severe left leg pain only on sitting continuosly for a long time, started from march 2010. No back pain.

From feb 2011, the pain increased a lot and was there even if i sit, stand or walk. Hence became totally bedridden. MRI revealed fairly large disc bulge at L4-L5 pinching the left nerve. Tried bed rest for a month, oral steroids, PT but nothing worked. There was only a vry minimal reduction in pain. Hence went in for microdiscectomy as per surgeon advice on 17 march 2011. Till until upto 3 weeks after surgery i did not feel any leg pain, though always had a considerable tightness feeling on my left foot. Started walking right from the day after surgery as per doc's advice. Did no sitting, bending, weight lifting until now. Started excercises from 4'th week onwards. I started experiencing a pain in my left butt anf left pelvic area from 3.5 weeks after surgery, this pain comes when i get up from lying position and start walking, for initial few steps it hurts to keep every left step due to this pain, it fades off when i walk around a little. But comes back the next time i lie down and get up. At times i can feel this even while i am lying on bed though its very very minimal then. This pain has been bugging me for weeks now and at times i am not able to do exercises because of it. During a bad spell of pain, it becomes dificult to move once i have lied on bed for sometime. Activity wise from the fourth week i have started sitting for very less time, moving around and cooking. Am about to join work nxt week. Desk job.

Please advise if there is nything going wrong thats causing this pain.

I avoid lying down much during the day, have notice that if i lie down on my back for long the pain gets more intense due to inactivity??.. have no clue..

would love some help here..

• Hey there...have you called your doctor to tell him about the new pain? I would call him to see if he has any concerns.

Also, after a microdiscectomy, you may have residual pain depending on weather, activity, or other things. Have you tried icing your back or taking ibuprofin to help reduce inflammation that you might have?

You are still fairly new out of surgery so the increased activity could have created some inflammation or some scar tissue may be causing you some pain.

I would definitely call the doctor and ask for advice. I don't think anyone will be able to tell you if you are ok or not.

Many things can cause the pain to return. Increased activity (which is temporary), increased inflammation, weather, re-herniation, scar tissue, healing process.

Let us know what the doctor says. I would also let your doctor know if you are taking any of the prescription meds or OTC meds (like ibuprofin or tylenol).

I found that when I came off the prescription meds, my pain increased but then after about a week of taking ibuprofin & tylenol (that my doctor recommended), I got back to a better pain control level.

hope this helps a little.