Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recommended C5-7 ACDF

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Welcome to Spine-Health. I hope you find your time here beneficial.

This question comes up from time to time. I think there could be a debate as to who is better in handling ACDF surgeries, the Orthopedic surgeon or the Neurosurgeon.

In reality, both could be needed for this surgery. I have always had a Neurosurgeon perform the disc portion of the surgery ( since, that was dealing with the spinal cord, etc) and an Orthopedic surgeon was present to perform the bone graft.

Many times, its really the matter in who you have trust and confidence in.

But, from reading your post, I would check into this some more. If 2 Orthopedic doctors told you that they can not help (I am assuming in terms of surgery), but a Neurosurgeon is talking about a ACDF, why and what are the difference?

What type of diagnostic testing have you had? (MRI, CT-Scans, etc) and what treatments and medications have been using.

When you have two groups saying different things (nothing they can for you vs surgery), getting a third opinion would be the right thing to do. This way you should have two groups that are in agreement.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I agree with Ron - why did your NS say surgery but 2 Orthos tell you nothing they can do. And did you have any MRI's to see if your cord is compressed.. from what I understand once the cord is compressed surgery is usually the only option..that is what happened to me - my cord was actually dented in and began to lose all feeling in 1 arm and hand and the NS said it would have continued to progress. My pain prior to surgery was debilitating and was gone immediately followin surgery. I am almost 5 months post op - still issues with muscles spasms, neck tightness and arm weakness but nothing compared to pre-surgery. Good luck to you and welcome to this forum. I am so glad I found this site and have now made some great friends and have gotten great support. Keep us posted on how you are doing and anything we can do to help.
  • Sorry for to talk about your Work Questions.. I was not released to work until my 3 month check up and Xray. It all depends on the DR and the amount of "damage" in your neck ... I have seen some folks able to work within a few weeks and others like me returned after a few months. I have to say I probably physically could have used more time to heal but I had to go back to work and pushed my DR .. I have a desk job mainly but I travel sometimes 200 miles in 1 day and that is weekly so I would have never been able to do that before the 3 month time frame and still some days have lots of pain... again nothing as severe as before surgery! Again all depends on you, your recovery, how much damage, the type of work you do and what your DR says. Hope that helps!