Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Block user to PM a Member, or Ignore button?

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Maintenance
Ron, Tamtam,

A recent spammer or dunno "odd" not nice user brought forth a thought for a software addition thought? Is there any way that the programmers for this software can add either a feature such that you can block a members PM's to a member, or (and) a way to make an "ignore" button so you don't see the offending members posts?

This feature from what I've seen on here wouldn't be used much, but having just been the victim of a *cough* new member that didn't understand "Don't PM me", "Stay out of my PM's" etc., it is something I thought I would ask about. Thanks in advance for any consideration of this addition.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• I think this would be a good idea too.
  • Huggy said:
    I think this would be a good idea too.
    See Ron,

I am not the only one thinking in this direction. I'm on a couple of sites that have this feature, and it is wonderful! I've been on here just over a year and a half, and I can only (counting the latest) think of 2 people that I would have blocked! So it isn't like folks would knock everyone out, just the "you know" types that deserve to be ignored! (G) Thanks Huggy!!!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    is something that does not come with the vanilla Drupal package (software we use for the site as well as our forums).

There are 'add-ons' that do provide this feature. This was discussed a while ago when we were on the old site using PunBB as the software driver.

The decision was NOT to have that feature integrated into the system. The rationale was that , the owners felt that when there were problems and problem members, that they would be reported to the moderators to handle.

Right now, we are in the process of a system upgrade, so any additional changes would have to be put on a back burner for a while.

I will go forward with this and add it to the request list for development.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Morning everyone. Ron I would think that reporting someone for PM abuse would be a good idea. That would give the moderators a heads up on a potential abusive member. They could then step in to warn the abusive member and track their behavior throughout the site. Maybe one moderator could be the point person for this?
  • Ron, if someone is banned, are they banned from posting or BLOCKED out of the site completely, ie, reading posts & sending pm's?
    Just curious.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    of removing member access.

Banning Eliminating access for that member to logon to Spine-Health to do anything (Posts,PMs,etc)

Host Blocking When we feel that a particular individual will create additional problems, we block access to our site from their ISP host.

There are some additional steps, but in summary these are the two that we generally use.

Sadly enough, before 2010, I can count the number of members on one hand that we needed to block their host. The banning of a member was enough to let them know what they did was wrong.

Today, we almost seem to block over 60% of the banned members.

Remember that coming in as a guest, you can still read forum posts, you just cant respond to one
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for clarification. I wasn't sure how it worked.
    Sad statistics 60%!
    I know admin & mods do a wonderful job making sure we all play by the rules!
  • Ron,

Hopefully they will reconsider when brought forward. You were great about dealing with my "problem child", but he was still annoying to say the least.

Some may not have thick skin, and threats and such could cause them (the victim) to leave when they otherwise would not. With the ignore feature, if one member doesn't get along with another, ignoring their posts might help avoid nasty posting back and forth.

• I'd rather have a button that just blows them up in their seats when they post their bs laced, link filled garbage.
  • Delete buttons work well :)))
  • Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Liz