Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spasms - Looking for relief

cccaverccccaver Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Pain Management

About a week ago my c5/c6 herniation started causing me *bad* spasms in the left leviator, trap, lattimus dorsi? area. It's just spasming, spasming, tightness, more spasms....

Any idea on how to get this to quit?

I thought doing some self trigger-point massage might help but it seems to be making it worse. I do this by jamming my back in to the 90 bend of a wall and massaging. The muscles are so tense I have to add significant force. It feels good for a minute but comes back worse. It almost feels better to do nothing at all. I have a Saunders home traction device that used to help but it not doing much now. Thank you.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Your opening comment suggests that you have been diagnosed with a herniation at C5-C6.

Might I suggest that instead of employing "home remedies" to alleviate your symptoms, That you contact your diagnosing physician and ask him/her the questions that you are asking here.

Beyond thinking of employing "trigger point" massaging that involves "jamming" specific muscles groups with "increasing significant force" - it sounds like you are actually doing it, with little lasting relief.

Again ... when in doubt about the best course of therapy, the best answer would to start discussing this with your treating physician.

Let us know what he/she recommends as we are not qualified to render advice or opinion. We can share our experiences - and I can tell based on my many years of experience with herniations, that none of your above mentioned therapies have ever been suggested for me by any competent physician.

With concern,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Yes, I have been diagnosed with a c5/c6 herniation. I've had numerous x-rays looking for bone spurs/ issues, and 1 MRI confirming the bulge. In the past, I've consulted with a PM doctor and an orthopedic surgeon. Nobody recommended me massaging my back with a wall, but it feels good. The traction device that insurance bought me has done well with getting rid of numbness in my hands until this past week. Nothing I'm doing from home is helping (exercises, etc)

I know this might seem ridiculous to some, but I have a job that is demanding as heck right now - We entered this month by losing a guy (fired) so we're short staffed. It could be unwise for me to take a day off right now. The last thing I want to be is a burden at work, especially during current circumstances.

I've been through tons of physical therapy and soft tissue work. Up until this past week everything was manageable. This weekend was the worst it's ever been and tonight it's driving me crazy. I know I need to see a doctor. I'm on here trying to figure out what kind of doctor to see. I don't have the free time to piddle going to 15 different doctors during the day (work hours) which is when most PM or Surgeons are open. I need to make darn sure I visit the right guy when I make an appointment.

The PM is no longer in the group of doctors that I visit and I didn't like the Ortho surgeon that I consulted with. There's a lot of people on here with many different experiences. I thought someone else's experiences might help me find the right doctor. Thanks for the advice.
  • Howdy and Welcome to Spine Health!! My first cervical level to go was C5/6. Spasms and tight muscles are a bugger.

The type of doctor you want to see is a spine trained board certified Neurologist or Orthopedic (spine trained) doctor. They would then be able to give you a thorough exam and more tests as needed. Then they can give you a course of action for relief. You need to get with a doctor that is a spine doctor since you say you have a herniated disk. Hopefully you will then find what will help better than what you are doing now.

Please let us know how it goes. Again, Welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sorry to hear you're having muscle spasms from your c-spine. How about a Physiatrist(sports medicine Dr.) who can treat your muscles through stretching or deep tissue massage or other ways like trigger point injections to elongate the muscle and stop it from causing a spasm? He may order another MRI or other tests like an EMG/nerve test to see if there's if the herniated disc is impinging a nerve like I have C6-C7 with nerve impinging and I get elbow pain and numbness and Lyrica helps with that and a muscle relaxer sometimes also as well as a heat pad.
    I hope you get some relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN