Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My quit story

cccaverccccaver Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Stop Smoking

I'm new here, but my back problems just went from bad to worse. I imagine I'll be around for a while. I know there's really nothing I can say here that you've never heard before. What I can do, though, is add one more successful quit story. My quit was long and my story is long. If you read all of it I can only hope some of what I went through might help you. I was nowhere near the hero status of folks who just "lay them down one day, never to pick 'em up again". I struggled, like most people, and somehow made it through.

Anyways, every time I ever *tried* to quit smoking I loved to hear stories of other people that quit. These stories always gave me that much more encouragement to quit myself.

Well, let me tell you this, me *trying* to quit was my first mistake. There's no trying to quit - One just has to do it. I put the smokes down close to 50 times in the past few years. I found that them psychological aspect was by far the most important. Of course everybody knows this, but branding the keys to success in your mind is easier said than done. It took numerous failures for me to figure out where I was going wrong. Everybody is different - Some can just put them down, others struggle, and many never will quit. I analyzed quitting smoking to the point of making a science out of it. I had a horrible time trying to figure out the magical formula for me to quit. Of course there is no "magical formula", but in trying to figure one out, I quit!

The single most important statement that I had to brand in my mind was this - "I don't like to smoke, I'm an addict and have a habit". Or, how about - "Smoking is not enjoyable, I have a habit". However you want to say it, you must convince yourself that you're an addict and that you don't like to smoke. Every smoker I know thinks that they like to smoke. In truth, they're dosing themselves with nicotine about 300 times a day (every puff) and are just feeding their addiction. Smoking wasn't enjoyable before I started, so why is it enjoyable now? Believe me, I *liked* to smoke as much as anyone on the planet. Again, in truth, I was just as addicted as anyone on the planet. My mind was my worst enemy and kept me smoking much longer than I needed to. I successfully failed at quitting over and over, again and again. I went through boxes and boxes of gum and lozenges.

Once I got control of my mind, I got control of the habit. Although I did use nicotine lozenges, quitting was surprisingly easy once I had control of the habit. It's hard enough to break the habit itself, there's no need in going through drug withdraw at the same time. Use a cessation product - it helps and takes just enough of the edge off that you can control it.

Sorry for the FRAT, but it's why I was able to quit. Had I not literally convinced myself that I did not like to smoke, I'd be having a Marlboro right now wondering how people do it.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can find your own way to quit. It's hard, but you can do it! Get through 3 weeks and you'll be well on your way to making it. You can also look at it this way - Would you rather go through 3 months of misery quitting smoking? Or, would you rather go through the last 3 months of your life, miserably, dying of cancer? That's another statement I used to make quitting easier. My own dad was the second closely related person I got to watch die with lung cancer. It's horrible as I'm sure you know and I hope it doesn't get me too. Good luck!

• I must add that looking back, this was another very important "key" -

My mind had to be in the right place; meaning I needed to be very happy with life in general. With all of my back problems it's difficult to be that happy, but there are a lot of little things to live for - My dogs, family, garden, hobbies, etc.

I had smoked for a long time as I started at a very young age. Long enough that I cant even remember when I didn't smoke.
  • Hello everyone,

I was smoking traditional tobacco cigarettes from last five to six years and due to this addiction I also suffered from several health issues and I was trying to quit, but quitting is not an easy task as it surely creates unaccepted changes in our body.

Then, one of my friends suggested me about electronic cigarettes and after smoking them I got the same experience and feeling without any health risks. The best thing with them is that they are available in different nicotine strengths that reduce the addiction of inhaling high nicotine doses and result in quitting smoke. And now, with electronic cigarettes I have reduced my smoking addiction.
  • Smoking does harm, I have heard this for so long when i was a kid, but as i grew up I started seen my friends smoking and drinking but none of them have suffered from any decease. so does this mean smoking only hit people who do not take healthy diet or physically not so much strong?