Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Support and advice sought.

treowthttreowth Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

In a weeks time I shall be having my surgery to remove two discs and fit coflex springs.

Like many of us I have had a rough time with back pain. I hope I am not alone in being so scared of my impending surgery. It will be my first operation :(

I really am trying to stay positive but I keep bursting into tears. I don't know whether I should be focusing on the op, or on the recovery.

I know stress and anxiety are not conducive for good healing but I am struggling to be 'calm'.

I really would value any thoughts or tips. At this rate I am worried I will be too scared for surgery.

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

It's very, very natural to be scared of surgery, especially when its your first one - and it's spine surgery.

I can tell you from experience, whether it helps you or not, that 99.9% of us here will tell you that the anticipation is worse than the surgery itself. With that in mind, I would suggest concentrating on the recovery - making sure you have everything you need at home for when you return, etc.

I know it's easy to say, but try not to be too scared for surgery. Keep in mind the reason you're having it - the daily pain. Many of us have woken up from surgery with some of our symptoms gone (more with cervical than lumbar I think), and it's a good feeling.

I hope you have the support you need in your life through friends and family and that you're getting your "station" ready for when you get home post-op. It really will be over before you know it and you'll only need to worry about recovery. It's a long one, keep that in mind, so try to measure it in weeks, not days. But it does get better with time.

And, of course, we'll be here to help you any way we can.

Take care and please continue to keep us posted.
  • Please keep the forum updated on your progress. You're the first person that I've heard that is getting the Coflex Spring. It sounds very promising.

If you get a chance, fill everyone in on your current symptoms so they can understand where you're coming from.

Good luck with your surgery.

• Are you in the UK? I have heard of them being used here and have consulted with the surgeon who fitted the first one here in the UK.

I agree with Cathie; get everything you need (there is a list at the top of the back and neck surgery thread) and prepare the area where you will spend your recovery time. I was advised to have a different place to lie during the day from where I would sleep at night. We were buying a new bed, so had it put in the lounge until I didn't need it any more. It was great, I could relax and be comfortable but still with the rest of the family. My husband put the tv up high so I could watch it while lying in bed.

Think about what you will wear. Easy to put on clothes and slip on shoes. Make sure that you have things that have lots of give in the waist band. You won't want anything tight near the incision.

Have some laxatives available! Most of us seem to need them.

I totally agree that the anxiety is worse than the actual surgery. I was mentally prepared for a very hard time after surgery, but hoping for the best. I think that because I was expecting such a rough time, in actual fact it wasn't as bad as I had feared.

Do let us know how you get on, and ask any other questions that you may think of.

• I will gladly keep the forum posted.

I am so scared of post operative pain - esp as I have it just about under control at the moment.

• Try to focus on returning to your life after your surgery. Something that I did that helped me before surgery, when I was also terrified was to write a list of the things that I wanted to be able to do again once I was recovered.

I really enjoyed gradually crossing off the various things as I improved during my recovery.