Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Major life change-need advice

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello fellow spines and neckies,

Haven't been here in awhile. I live just outside of Syracuse, NY. My husband and I are selling our house and building on 20 acres land that we purchased last May (haven't broke ground yet). As you know NY weather is really awful from October to May of every year. I hurt so much from the cold and damp weather that I'm considering packing up and moving south. Does the warm weather make a difference? I'm considering Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas someplace a hell of a lot warmer than Syracuse NY!! Any input you can give me would be great.

• how to advise you here. Are you considering taking your husband with you, or is this a really major change of plans? I find I have more pain in the cold, but I don't think that's true for everyone. I used to live in Geneva, not too far from Syracuse, so I remember the cold. However, in Syracuse, you're not often affected by hurricanes or tornadoes, as you would be in the areas you've mentioned. Lots of things to consider besides warm weather.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I wish I could give you the answers.
    I think it varies by person.

I've heard Arizona is good b/c it's a dry heat - whatever that means.

I find the cold & damp weather is bothersome.
    However, I also know when a 'front' is coming through so I think the change in barometric pressure is part of the issue too.

The question is...would you enjoy the lifestyle that the south has to offer. To me, I think the benefit is that with warmer temps year round, I would be more likely to walk more and walking is good for us lower back folks.

• Newhouse,

I find for me the cold in itself doesn't bother me, but cold with damp kicks my butt! Deep low pressure also gets the pain machine in full gear!

With that said, while we don't have the snow storms and such down here in the south, we have plenty of fronts, hurricanes and pressure drops due to daily thunderstorms. I know there aren't too many places in the country *I* can keep the weather from affecting me.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • i can t tell u because im far from usa
  • In Utah we have hot summers and COLD frigid winters and wet yucky springs (which we're still in the midst of). The cold makes everything so much worse!! I know when I retire I am getting a winter place down south where it is warm and only being in Utah about 6 months a year during the heat!
  • i have had cronic low back pain for 5 yrs & will be haveing fusion surgery. This past february i spent 10 days in florida. the pain i had was minimal! I could do things there that i can't do here because of the pain. I would move there if i had the chance.
    good luck where ever you move to.
  • I live in southwest Arizona, Yuma to be exact. To me the weather has its good and bad. The winters are a nice relief sometimes help the relieve some pain and even some swelling. Personally I love Utah weather, the summers are generally mild and the cold either hurts worse or relieving. Just depends. Its like we use heating pads or cold packs to help relieve our pain. Not to mention moving to the deep south the humidity is a tough one for me. My preference is dry heat, although Dallas isn't too bad. I would move there in a heartbeat if I could get my husband to go there. Sounds like a big move could be in your future. Good Luck with your decision.
  • For me the cold and heat make a huge difference in my pain levels. For 10 years I lived in a damp, cold, immoderate climate. The winters were pure torture. I always wondered every winter how I would make it through. I would visit my girlfriend in Florida during the winter and what a difference it made for me.

But I also have neuropathy of the feet and calfs, this type of pain is triggered by even coolish temps for me. For some it is the heat that triggers it. So I suppose it also depends on your health conditions on weather the heat would make a difference. I do know many a person told me that their doctor said if they did not get away from the northern winters they would not survive. Plus pain causes all sorts of other bad chemical reactions in our bodies and permanently changes our nervous system. Not good.

Is there any way you could visit a couple of states to get an idea of how you you feel while there? I visited Arizona and New Mexico and though I love it there the dryness drove me nuts. I love the tropical climate of Florida.

To make a long story longer I moved to Florida 3 months ago. My only concern for anyone moving here who has chronic pain issues is that the laws have swung too far in one direction that if you need any type of pain control it's going to be very difficult to get. It's a lot harder than where I used to live, and it wasn't easy there. That I know for sure.

Peace and Blessings,

PS: It's been a month and half since you posted your question. Have you had any more thoughts or made any decisions on what you might do?
  • I have lived in deserts, up in the high arctic, in the sub-arctic, but mostly in Ontario, not too far across the border from Syracuse actually. The best places I've found to live are in the dry, arid atmospheres, like the far north and in the desert, no matter what time of year. In the winters up north, the average temp is -40, but gets down to -75ish for days on end. Even in that extreme cold, my pain was never as bad as it is here with the dampness. Same goes for the other end of the spectrum, hot dry climates were so much better for me than the heat with the humidity.

I met my bf when I lived in the Yukon, and he still can't get over the difference, and how I seemed to have "detiorated" when we moved here to Ontario, he never really knew how bad my situation actually was because up north, my pain just wasn't that bad, I rarely even took Advil for it. The only thing I've found to help in the slightest is to lock the house up, keep the central air going in the summer and the heat in the winter and have a dehumidifier in the basement.

Good luck with your decision, a ranch (if that's what you're using your land for) sounds so lovely, what I would give to have horses and chickens and goats, lol. A hobby farm has always been my retirement dream. I hope that you figure out what will make you happiest, and wish you all the best.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
This discussion has been closed.