Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post lumbar discectomy questions and concerns

RaraavisRRaraavis Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my lumbar discectomy for L5-S1 disc On 27th April 2011, 6 days back from uk. After the surgery I was told that surgeon has scooped out all of my disc material, nucleus pulpous, and there are only three walls left, I have searched on net and this is perhaps subtotal discectomy.

Post discectomy, I feel sciatica in my right leg and sometimes in left, also have a constant hamstring pulling like feeling in my right leg. I have been told to walk. How much to walk at this stage? If I walk3-4 miles per day , sciatica becomes worse. Need advice.....

Anyone had same sort of surgery where all disc material had been removed? Do share your experience please.

I am 33, a female and have an active toddler of 17 months to look after and raise.

How long should I walk? Am I walking too much at this stage? When should I start walking and when does scar tissue forms?

Do you think without this jelly material my disc can survive? What can I do to save myself to see my baby grow?

• Hi, I havent had the whole disc removed just part at l4/l5, but I do have a young daughter of 2 and I am 36. I would say continue to walk but not as far each day - I know if I push myself too much I suffer for days afterwards which helps no one. I would also suggest that you discuss your issues with your surgeon - they are the experts in giving advice.

Good luck.