Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dentist Visit

sassy411ssassy411 Posts: 199
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
I had to be given novacaine (or whatever it is they use) for a cleaning! The pain when the water/air hit was unbearable. No cavities, in fact, I had a lot of dental work done last year--beautiful crown & bridge work.

The denist's office who did that work was total chaos, I was in the chair once for 9 hrs, another time 7 hrs. She would start on me, then wander off to see another patient, come back, etc. It was brutal on my spine.

So, I go to a different office now. Much calmer & organized, but I never expected to be such a baby about a cleaning after all of the work I went thru (total mouth reconstruction).

I mentioned to DH that I think my pain tolerance is getting lower due to the chronic pain & he said he has noticed that. He said it's been quite gradual, but he sees it.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...but wondering if maybe your tolerance isn't lessening as much as whatever is happening with your spine..and then nerves..is worsening.
    People who see me regularly notice rapid deteriation in my gait &sitting & standing positions that my body naturally does to find some sort of comfort.

Between the issues of the spine and the nerves causing pain and then referred pain..I don't know how these docs figure anything out.
    Truly, everyday something new...and not in a good way..happens with my body.

Tolerating the pain kind of sounds like if we were stronger things would be better. But really, it's not our fault. My body is suffering & screaming & if healing doesn't happen..I think it makes sense that deteriation will happen..& that means more pain.
    At least that has been my experience.
    All that to say..it's not your fault & your not alone.
    Take care!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• The spine pain is progressively getting worse.

I try to do everything right, especially excerise. It's so frustrating. I actually asked the dentist straight out if it was too frustrating for her to have to numb me. She sure seemed irritated by me.

I have to go back to get a crown replaced. Cutting the old one off is going to require novacaine (or whatever they use these days). I'm sure she'll be annyoed.

But, I'm the one paying her, so too bad for her being irritated.
  • It's okay to use Novocaine for anything if you have pain. I've often put my hand up and asked for more injections as who likes those injections? But tooth pain is worse! I have so much pain also when the Hygienist puts the chair up and down up and down. It's really easier just getting up myself than have them move the chair. That's awful you need a crown replaced.

I was thinking of getting this bridge removed because of the steel showing the top of my teeth. It doesn't seem worth the $990. I paid for and the insurance paid half $990. but worried about them taking it off my teeth. It must be hard to remove a crown? I hope you're not in the chair too long. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.