Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming ALIF L4/5, Posterior Lumbar Stabilization L3 thru S1 with Dynesys. Anyone have any GOOD exp

ebincaeebinca Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Long story short, my L5/S1 was fused with Ray Cages 10 years ago. I did great the first 4 years, the last 6 have been progressively declining. I've stayed in shape and am still as active as I can be. I treadmill 1 1/2 a day. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't. Sitting and laying hurt worse. MRI and Discogram (pure torture! lol!) showed significant herniation and calcification of L4/5 and moderate herniation L3/4. They are doing an ALIF for L4/5 and a posterior stabilization of L3/4 in hopes of saving the disk and preventing further herniation. Pedicle screws scare me!!! I've read a lot of bad things... loose or broken screws, and fractured sacrum. I'm also concerned about healing from both an anterior and posterior approach. Has anyone gone through, or know of someone that has gone through a similar surgery? I'm 40. I can still function normally about 65% of the time (part of that is because I very purposely keep from doing things that hurt it). I could postpone it until my functional ability is significantly decreased... but I figured that I would heal faster at 40 than would at 45 or 50 - and I also know that it's not a matter if IF, but more a matter of WHEN.

ANY AND ALL advice or shared experiences are appreciated!!!!! Thank you!

PS- My surgeon originally wanted to do a two level Artificial Disc Replacement... my insurance company does not cover them :(((((