Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior C1/C2 fusion, 3 weeks post-op

achyneckaachyneck Posts: 163
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone!
I am so glad to have found thiss site! I have been dealing with horrible headaches/neck spasms for a year due to osteoarthritis of my atlantoaxial facet joint. The arthritis is only on my left facet, and I am pretty confident it is due to a motor vehicle accident I was in a few years ago (logging truck hit my vehicle and totalled it). After dealing with almost every type of treatment, I finally complained enough that my doctor referred me to an orthopedic spinal surgeon. Long story short, the arthritis was causing C1/C2 dysfunction and causing a whole myriad of symptoms. I was advised that the only way to repair the problem was surgery. We did try facet injections prior to surgery, but they did not work. About a week later, my arms/feet/back of skull started going numb randomly when I would lay down or go to sleep.
I had surgery on April 6th - posterior C1/C2 fusion with autograph and wire (Brooks Fusion). While I have not had a headache since my surgery (yeah!!!), my neck is still very tired and I get daily spasms if I am upright for too long. I started PT at 2 weeks post-op, and go 3x/week. I am also in a soft collar. I find I am very concerned I am going to move wrong and mess up my surgery site internally, but the doctor assures me that I am not. My hip region doesn't hurt at all, so that is good :-)
Anyway, I would welcome any advice from people with similar surgeries, or who can give me positive advice.
Thanks, and I am grateful to have found this site!
April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    You have found the best site! The info has been so beneficial to me...atricles..posts...
    I don't have any experience with surgeries, but wanted to say hi.
    Keep in touch! :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Good to hear that you are feeling better. 3 weeks post op from posterior cervical surgery is still real early on for most folks. I am not at all surprised your neck gets tired easily at this point! Your muscles have a lot to heal from and compensate for and between being tired or angry, they take very little time off.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and keep on keeping on!

• I just hit the one month mark, and I am about 2.5 weeks into physical therapy and can definately tell that it is helping a lot to strengthen my neck. I go to PT 3x/week for about 2 hours. In addition, I do about 1 - 2 miles on the elliptical/treadmill or just walking 1 - 2 miles per day. I also do my stretches prescribed by my therapist daily. I went for a 2 mile hike today, first time out on the trail since my surgery. It was good to get some fresh air and watch my dog run around! Not sure if hiking is in my prescribed activities, but it was good for my soul.
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on a successful recovery! be sure and follow the doctor's orders.. no heavy lifthing!!! stop by the forum anytime.. so you are an dog person! i have a baby i love as well.. take care! Jenny :)