Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help please

gailcggailc Posts: 1

After years of trying to figure out what has been causing my pain and after years of visiting different doctors I'm now told I need surgery :-(

I have several autoimmune diseases, starting with ITP and Factor V Leiden, Uveitis, Fibromyalgia and ? Ankolysing Spondylitis. I have severe sciatica in left leg and peripheral neuropathy on sciatic line in right leg.

I've been on several different pain medications for years - currently on Oxycontin, Amitryptilline, Lyrica (Pregalbin), Baclofen, Lidocaine 5% patch and Solpadol. Nothing really works. I can't work at the moment, and can't walk without using a crutch. Since using the crutch I've had two episodes of Phlebitis in my legs.

Any surgery is high risk for me because of my autoimmune diseases and medications that I'm on.

A recent MRI shows a herniated disc at L4/L5 on right, and bilaterally at L5/S1. I've had facet joint injections done and last week a root block at L5 and am due a root block at S1 in the next few weeks.

My neurosurgeon is talking about doing a decompression at L5 to try and stop the peripheral neuropathy and most likely a micro-discectomy at L5/S1 - but he won't do them all together.

Had anyone got something similar? Any benefit from the surgery?

I'm in chronic pain all the time, barely sleep, can't sit or stand for long and basically just feel terrible. No one else really understands what I'm going through - husband, parents, sister. I've been seeing a counsellor recently and think this is helping me mentally a bit :-)

Any advice, thoughts etc gratefully received

• Hi, I'm not sure anyone can give you specific yes or no to surgery, however, can you explain what the doctor will do with the decompression at L5?

I'm only asking b/c I had a MicroD at L5S1 which include decompressing the nerve by cutting the lamina (lamenectomy), removing the disc material that was compressing the nerve, as well as scar tissue that had built up.

I guess I'm struggling to offer advice b/c I'm not sure the difference on the 2 surgeries.

You are in a unique position with your other health issues, however, my personal experience with MD at L5/S1 I can share.

I'll try to come back on later to share (have to run out now).
  • Aint it best to work on geting the autoamune dissorder resolved 1st? My spine condition started in the 90s and it started off with autoimmune dissorder of the spine and i was treated with plazma phereses to resolve the condition caused by the autoimmune dissorder. This was filtering the blood to remove bad antibodies that they said was attacking the spinal cord. Finding was made by mayo clinic.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,