Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unscientific Survey??

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Chronic Pain
In another group I belong to ... there is a saying that you are either moving forward or backward .... staying the same in not an option.

In reading posts lately, I have noticed that some of my favorite kindred souls seem to be moving backward in terms of pain management or the need for future surgery (after an initial attempt) Several of you'all come to mind ...
Alex, Brenda, Tam, Kris, Snookie, Sue ... thats just for starters.

So here's the "survey part of the post .... Simply respond with a "Getting Better" or "Getting Worse" ... elaborate if you want to (or need to) .... Too bad we don't have the polling feature enabled in this forum. I think we will be suprised by the cumulative result(s).

I'll start .... Getting Worse.

Curious Regards,

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Even though my own issues are far smaller than most here, I'm Getting worse-mostly my own fault for failing to follow up on things i should have.
  • I guess i am geting beter after finding my own medical need of using natural coconut oil and other days dmso which i found on my own. It was not my dr"s doing. I felt the longer i was going to the dr the worse he was making my pain in the long run. Thats my opinion and i am stick it with it.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • worse
    {tony AKA STRAKER}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • There is a saying that the more things change the more they stay the same.

I have to say I'm holding steady (good days and bad) so overall, holding steady.

So the answer is time dependent
    How am I compared to yesterday - moving forward
    How am I compared to 2 years ago - moving backward
    How am I compared to before the surgery - moving forward
    How am I compared to this morning - moving backward (b/c I get tired toward the end of the day).

I am of no help on your survey :-)
  • Dave,

I'll know more next Friday. In some ways worse as time progresses, so does the spine issues. In some ways better as I am at least getting answers? Does that make sense? More to come I guess - wish I could answer more in the "known" category, but still waiting for more tests to be completed. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Getting worse :o(
    BUT learning how to cope with it better! :o)

• I was very hopeful after my lumbar fusion that I had been 'fixed'. Now, just over a year later I am having nasty cervical and thoracic pain and neurological pains and symptoms all over the place.

Waiting for my 12 month follow up from the surgery, so I can have the results of an MRI scan on my lumbar and thoracic spine to see what is going on.

My neck is screaming the loudest at the moment!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I am getting worse everyday...and I will copy from virginiap ... :) I am trying to cope better.
    My body demands that effort to continue new ways of coping ...everyday.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Worse as well, pain on the right as well a the left. Saw the Dr today, got an RX for the next year. I hate those appointments and they give me the Rx for the next year, it's depressing. They aren't doing anything else for my spine issues. I had to go for xrays on my hand today, I have a lump on the second knuckle on my finger that has been growing and painful. So yep, worse all around.
  • I'd have to answer along the lines that DNice did. Having several issues going on at the same time, it depends on the day.

For my neck: Moving forward in that I'm not as bad as I was before surgery, but slowly getting back to that point, pain depends on the day

Back: slowly getting worse, but have been able to lessen one section of the pain with SI joint injections (YAY) but the rest is still there and the other will come back

Hip/Leg and Knees: these will only get worse with time, hopefully once I'm out of the military, I will finally get approved for the knee replacements I've been told I need, but am too young to have, and would never be approved while still in the military, as they think I would be too hard on them. At 38, do I really need to suffer the next 20 years minimum to get replacement surgery?
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • it look like the most of us will be in pain for the rest of our lives even after risking our lives and having massive multiple surgeries ..its so unfair
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Cervical: better
    Lumbar: worse for now, but plans for getting better
    Carpal Tunnel: worse for now, but usually gets better with time.
    Psychologically: Stable

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    WORSE !!!! Badder not Better .... with some mixed answers depending on time of day, position of the moon, timing of meds, use of off label products, ... etc.

Now maybe its just that those of us the have gotten better have moved on with their lives and no longer hang out on the boards here .... but of those responding .... seems like our issues are progrssing.

I guess thats one reason they call it Degenerative Disk Disease. My fear is that it will continue to get worse .... and never truely get better.

Like the boy with his finger in the dike, and then seeing more leaks start to spring up around him just out of his reach.

Look out poeple of the village .... there maybe a flood comming!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• cervical - worse
    lumbar - worse
    psychological - stable (though some may dispute that)

My brother was diagnosed with leukemia recently and is now fighting for his life in hospital. It really puts things in perspective.

*edit: Sorry, I should have been more specific: the suddenness and seriousness of my brother's condition made me realise that there are worse things than my own daily chronic pain. It's bad enough to be in pain all the time, but at least I don't have the immediate worry of whether I'll be alive this time next year and what will happen to my kids, etc...
  • Interesting paradigms! I love to see your sense of humor is solidly INTACT! Bravo!!! (Clapping) :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • It's subjective. I no longer have the screaming pain down my leg since the fusion, but the back pain is worse. Mentally I'm going down hill. I don't see the light anymore. I had a simple fitness test for work and failed badly. The muscles in my back won't allow me to squat, I couldn't get them to ingage to do a pushup, and lifting my right foot off the floor was horrible. To see that kind of degeneration is depressive. I have a hardware block May 9th then I'll try to update here.
  • Very sorry to hear about your brother!

Lilac100. Good luck wit hardware block. That should be giving you some releif i would think now. I know mine did.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I would definately have to say I am getting worse...just when I think it possibly couldn't.

Every day seems to be harder to get up, stand, sit ,walk. On the bright side I am cautiously optimistic that post surgery I will start to move forward and get better.

Huggy, thoughts are with you and your brother during his illness.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks for your kind words, Alex and Karen.
This discussion has been closed.