Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Foraminotomy question

KinneyKKinney Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I had a cervical decompression on the C7 Nerve on the left side about 6 weeks ago. The primary reason I had the surgery was because of constant muscle spasms running from the base of my neck down the left side of my scapula. It restricts my movement and ability to do things.

The positive is that I am healing nicely from the surgery.

The negative is that the chronic muscle spasms have not improved at all. I might have had the surgery for nothing.

Anyone else have experiences with chronic muscle spasms/knots in the upper back? Or realted problem?

Thanks for your time!

• Was your surgery posterior(back) of the neck? If so it can take sometime to heal from that incision. You might want to talk to your doctor about some muscle relaxers also you can try a ten's unit and massage therapy, might give you some relief. But that surgery does take sometime to get over the muscle issues and is a longer recovery than anterior surgery.
  • I had a posterior foraminotomy at the C7 nerve root 6 weeks ago. Most things I have read on the internet make it sound like you recover in like 1 to 2 months. Is this a exaggerated time frame?

I thought my upper back spasms might feel better by now, and I guess I am worried that they aren't getting any better. I have had 6 weeks of PT too.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Tantam!
  • While everyone is different, being someone whom has had posterior surgery three times, I am a firm believer it takes about 3-6 months to start feeling some what better and still had spasms that went on longer. Which is why i strongly encourage you to discuss with your doctor about a muscle relaxer. Keep in mind the longer the spasms go on the longer the recovery can be.
  • Good advice, thanks. I will contact my doctor.

BTW - the spasms are more like knots in my back...