Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pain "Whiplash"

Whiplash_JamiWWhiplash_Jami Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was in a car accident on Tuesday May 6th 2011. My car was rear ended. When my car was hit I was flung forward and whipped back. I didn't feel any pain in the next few minutes. I got out of the car to exchange information with the person. I was shaking and trembling so badly that the other person had to tell me to go and sit down. We exchanged information and I proceeded home. My home was less than 10 minutes from the scene of the accident. Before I reached home I could feel the pain in my neck start. Once I got home I sat down and within a couple minutes I knew something was wrong and decided to go to the hospital. While at the hospital the doctors examined me and took x-rays. He told me I had a 'reversal of the curvature of the spine'. He gave me a neck brace to wear and prescribed pain killers and anti-inflammatory meds. Since then I have developed other syptoms. The day after the accident I had check pain/burning and a burning sensation in my eyes. A headache that won't let up and pain radiating from my spine out to my shoulder blades. If I sneeze I feel like my next is spasming for just a breif moment. I feel nauseous on and off all day/night. I can no longer sit or stand for more than 30 minutes at a time. If I'm using my left arm for too long it will start to tingle and hurt. I went to my family doctor today for a follow up. She examined my neck and was pressing on my neck. She said the worst parts seemed to be C4 and C5. Also while she was pressing on those spots, one made my face numb and the other made the front of my neck numb. But once she stopped pressing the nbmess stopped. Amd now hours later, my neck feels like it is burning. The Tylenol 3 they gave me just are not cutting it. Any suggestions as to what I can do so I can get the burning to stop and many some ideas on how I can actually get some sleep tonight? Lastly, what comes next? With insurance? And the pain?

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and there are many whom come here with whiplash. Look in the medical articles and you will find many good articles on whiplash. What did your doctor suggest today that you do? As far as what comes next, the best thing would be your neck begins getting better. But you might need to try some massage therapy, ice, heat and bed rest to help it out. Hopefully they have begun to wean you out of the cervical collar, as for over all it is not good for your muscles. Did the doctor suggest PT? Which is normally following whiplash. AS far as sleeping you might find it easier sleeping in a recliner. If you don't have one, you can set the pillows up to work close to one. Try not to do anyone thing to long, like look at a computer monitor or do much looking down if your using a laptop in bed.

As far as figuring the insurance out, depends on what state you live in as to how it works. In my state we just use are own medical insurance then the insurance company will get their money back. If it is really just whip lash hopefully within a week or so you will begin to feel better, but keep in mind it can take sometime to feel better. If the pain persist your doctor may want to get a MRI or CT scan.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you get along. Take care.
  • The ER doctor told me to wear the collar non-stop for the first 2-3 days and then to take it off for short low movement periods at a time amd slowing keep upping the amount of time I keep it off, but to wear it at night for at least one week.
    My family doctor did recommend physiotherapy, I have an appointment on Monday.
    The tip about the pillows sounds lime a good one, I will try that this evening. I have been reading lots about collision caused neck injuries, but I have found little about how to help ease the burning sensation. It feels worse than the worst sun burn I've ever had. And a cool cloth and aloe lotion is not helping. (I tried those because they worked on the burning sensation from a burn).
    Insurance I'm sure will be a pain all it's own. Lol