Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how long and how much

kestbryankkestbryan Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
does anyone know how long a lumbar ADR takes to really solidify into place
and once solidly implanted is there a limit on how much weight one can or should lift???

• Give it a few months for your body to get used to it. I've had mine since 2004 with no limitations at all. I was running, lifting doing hight impact sports after wards with it until my neck went bad in 2009 likely from heavy weight lifting. At any rate, I wish I was able to get ADR's for my neck but my current insurance would not approve it. I am very strong proponent of them. Good luck.

• goodluck with it all, esp the insurance part.
    i had to pay out of pocket for it all. but i can't imagine a better investment
    then me having a chance to carry my kids.

46 year old male yoga instructor
    adr in L4 L5 & L5 S1
  • Proceeded with anterior fusion then had posterior to revise one of the fusions that was non-union. Had I done adr might not of had this complication but paying for it myself was not an option. If I had my old insurance would have proceeded with 2-level adr. But the other hand fusions are the gold standard. Hindsight is 20-20. I am only 5 weeks out from posterior, I remain optimistic of my recovery and quality of life.

• Hi Bryan,
    I had disc replacement C6-C7 last May 5. Severe nerve pain/muscle weakness before the surgery. Completely relieved afterwards. The doctor told me I could do anything after 3 months.

While that is mostly true, I still have quite a bit of fear about causing damage to the area during my yoga practice - I've taught vinyasa since 2005. I no longer practice shoulderstand, headstand, and a few other asanas.

How do you see this surgery impacting your practice? I know yours is lumbar. Still curious. There is not much info out there on this procedure and safety w/ yoga practice. Since this surgery is so new, I guess we are paving the way. :)

Much healing and peace to you!
  • aloha susan
    it's good to get your feedback. i understand your apprehension in challenging
    your cervical region. if you are feeling good after being in so much pain for so long why mess with it.
    my surgery was a month ago so i am not sure about my physical yoga practice just yet. right now i stay away from all physical activities except walking. as i heal and feel it is safe i will start my practice again. my doc ( who is a black belt and also had the surgery himself ) says i will be able to go back to a full practice.
    the key is to let it heal up appropriately. this is my challenge, to not push it.
    cause with 3 kids it's hard to just lay there and not interact and now i am teaching yoga on a 20 city tour in europe. i talk the class through though, i am not practicing. but just hauling my suitcase is a challenge.
    but who can stop working?

pleasure corresponding,