Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here We Go Again

lilac100llilac100 Posts: 180
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Spinal Injections
I haven't posted my progress on here lately, mainly because I'm depressed. I had a medial branch block that was screaming painful. I would have been ok with it if it had any effect on the pain but it didn't. So I have another set of shots scheduled for Monday, May 9th. I'm scared to death, the pain was horrific the last time. Anyway my surgeon wanted me to do a repeat of the hardware block. It wasn't too bad the first time and it's the only shot I've had that worked. I'm really afraid of it not working this time. If it works we remove the hardware, if not we evaluate my level of disability. I'm afraid my mind will make me think it worked whether it does or not. I can't fathom being disabled and don't want to have a surgery unless it will help.

So has anyone ever wished a shot worked so much that it did? Anyone got any experience in hardware blocks? My last one was just in my PM's office and done with ultrasound, this one is in the surgery center with sedation and all the trimmings. He is also doing L3/L4 facet joints. Surgeon thought the top right screw was a little close to the joint and might be causing some of the problems.

• I'm not one that has issues with needles, I just let them hit me (no sedation), and get it over with. But for me? At least for the spine, they never helped. I've also had them in my shoulder (which healed) and maybe I got 2 days relief? I pretty much turn them down anymore.

Specific "hardware blocks", I can't speak to those, as I've not had them. My understanding is if there is relief, it confirms the hardware is the culprit? I hope you find answers soon. Big support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks for the replies. I'm trying not to wind myself up too much. I had such high hopes for the medial branch block and when it didn't worked I crashed mentally and physically. I'm just hangin in at this point and trying not to hope.
  • Lilac, I am so sorry that you are still having problems and struggling to find out what is causing them.

From what I have read (no experience yet), having sedation for this procedure will help you to cope with it. At least they will be able to deal with any pain, if you have it, immediately. Hopefully this time, it will be far easier.

I am being referred to Pain Management while I wait for my next appointment in 6 months time. I am dreading the idea of cervical epidural injections to the point where I think I will decline unless they can give me a very good reason to have them. I think I would rather have the pain!! I suppose if it gets worse I might change my mind about that.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
    Do let us know how it goes.

>:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Well the shot went well after the PM doc figured out what it was the surgeon wanted. It worked mostly. He only did the right side instead of the bilateral that was ordered. The right side felt good most of the day. It is starting to wear off now. I managed to go for a car ride and shopping and even did a load of laundry. It's amazing what a little pain relief can do. Unfortunately I'm expecting it to come back tomorrow. It was nice while I had it. I go back to surgeon on Monday to discuss removing the hardware.

• I am trying to learn about various spinal injections because it looks like I will be having some!!

How effective were yours?
    Did you get the relief that you were hoping for?
    Would you recommend them?