Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi - just joined

sierraskierssierraskier Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone,

I'm a 41 year old female. When I was 14 I noticed the outer side of my foot and calf up to my knee were numb. I was diagnosed with a grade II/III spondylolisthesis L5-S1 and had a Wiltse type fusion with bone grafts. It was pretty successful and I returned to being very physically active, though my back would hurt when I over-did it. As of a year ago, I was working full time in a research la, so on my feet all day. I worked out regularly, running 4-5 miles on the treadmill several times a week, snow skiing, backcountry hiking etc. We did several intense hikes in Yosemite last summer, one 10 miles and one 3.5 miles up 2000ft then back down. I also painted several room in my house so was up and down a ladder and standing in strange positions while painting corners and the ceiling/walls different colors. Basically, I was doing a lot of things to strain my back. Then I missed the bottom step on the ladder and landed very with a jolt. After that, I noticed the 2 small toes on my right foot went numb and I started experiencing an intense stabbing burning pain on the lower right side of my back, about an inch below the fusion. It would happen most often when I was leaning back in bed propped on pillows watching tv, or leaning back in a recliner and the pain would shoot more towards my hip than butt. I just figured I had inflammed it from all the activity. I would rest it for a week or so, heat and ice and ibuprofin, then I would try to resume activity. Every time I did something active, whether more painting, landscaping or hikes, it would flare back up. Working out made it really bad and I tried walking, elliptical, and bike as an alternative to running, but I couldn't find anything that didn't make it flare more. So after 27 years, I went back to the dr. On my physical exam my big toe dorsiflexion on the right toe was weak and he said some of the reflexes were a little slow so there was some radiculopathy. Xrays show the grade II spondylosisthesis. Although the MRI shows a large synovial cyst at L4-L5, the surgeon said he doesn't see anything really compressed. However, the pain management/rehab dr said the cyst is "really huge! Very impressive! It's really crunched in there." CT shows the fusion worked, but its very uneven. I also have degeneration of L4-L5 disc, and degeneration in the sacro-iliac joint as well as in the L4-L5 and L5-S1 facet joints. And the foramen is very small. I'm scheduled for cortisone epidural shots the day after tomorrow followed by PT.

I'm a little confused. Is the pain from the cyst or is the cyst from the degeneration and inflammation? Will the epidural shots make the cyst go away? Will it help with how small the cord space is or is that permanent?

On top of that the joints in my neck are degenerating and they said I have carpal tunnel and mild thoracic outlet syndrome. I'll have PT for that too.

Thanks, I look forward to getting to know everyone :)

• Wanted to welcome you here to SH. Sorry that you need to be here but you have come to the right place. Although I am unable to answer your question, I am sure that the great members here will give you some answers.

Wishing you all the best!Hopefully the ESI's will give you some relief.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am glad your fusion surgery was successful for you.. i hope you experience relief from your injections. take a look at the top of the page under "Treatment" and "Conditions" for some explanations to your questions... also, be sure and check with your doctor!! good luck to you!! stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to our forum :)))

I think only your doctor can determine where your pain is coming from. See how you go after you've had the ESI's and if you're still in a lot of pain, then perhaps you could get a second opinion from a neurosurgeon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. just wanted to say hello and i hope you are feeling better soon!! good luck with you pain issues! stop by the forum anytime! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You've come to the right place for information, support and friends who understand.

It sounds like you're going through what a lot of us are - degeneration of your spine. You may need to tone down your activities in the future.

I can't answer your questions either, but I know that many of us find that as we have spine problems, we have to limit ourselves in the future for fear of future problems and/or surgeries.

My hope for you is that you have a good spine doctor that can give you a plan of action and explain what's happening.

In the meantime, we're here to offer our support and encouragement. Take care of yourself and please keep us posted as you travel through your spine journey.