Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

There is hope...

vermithraxvvermithrax Posts: 21
I am a 35 year old guy, that has been having major back/sciatic problems for over a year. Here is my story, with a hopeful ending. Don't give up people...

Over a year ago, I started having intense sciatic pain in my left leg. No idea what happened, but it may have been a bad cough from a cold I had. Just one day, cough ..cough...BAM, sciatic pain.

Turned out to be a pretty badly herniated L4-L5 and a less herniated L5-S1. The L4-L5 was on my left L5-S1 on the right. Only my left hurt 80% of the time, but there was some pain on my right occasionally.

I went to an orthopedic surgeon who wanted a microdiscectomy , a neurosurgeon who gave me steroid injections, that did nothing and also wanted surgery, a pain management doctor, who was calling for more injections, then surgery. It was looking like surgery was the only option, but I decided to wait.

I have been on Tramadol, Neurontin and NSAIDS for the entire year. Tramadol helps a lot and so does Neurontin. My insurance doesn't cover physical therapy, so I have never tried it.

About a month ago, my nasty sciatic pain suddenly, and for no really reason started to go away. Last year at this time, I was using motorized scooters at super markets, and a wheelchair one time when I went to the zoo. I used to eagerly wait for my next does of Tramadol, so I could get some pain relief, now I have to try to remember and have been missing doses.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel. It is possible to get better. I am now going to start cutting back on pain meds, and exercising VERY carefully. I can now walk without limping and the pain has gone away 70% or more sometimes. No idea what is happening, but it is a blessing.

Just wanted you all to know, sometimes surgery may not be the only option. Pain can get better, it does happen. I am not 100%, and I could wake up tomorrow back to the living hell I was in, but there is hope.

• I see that you are new to SH and wanted to welcome you.
    Wonderful news that your pain levels have gone down so much! It is always great to hear positive stories like yours, gives us hope.It definately is a blessing for you.

May you continue to improve and have ongoing pain reduced days.

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks for sharing. I hope your post will help others new to a back injury. Some can heal on their own. Take care of yourself and hope it continues to get better. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN