Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Osteoarthritis and Surgeries

ma659mma659 Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had OA for the past 10 years that began in my hip and has now claimed all of my joints except my left elbow and right knee.
I had ACDF/instrumentation in 2006, C-3 thru C-6. 4 Years post surgery we've found that the lowest level didn't properly fuse, bone spurs, cervical stenosis and OA has further deteriorated spine.
I am scheduled for Posterior Cervical Laminectomy C-3 thru C-7 with autograft and instrumentation on May 19th.
(I still have throbbing hip pain from the first harvest!)
Since I've already had 1 cervical surgery, does this mean that I will continuously need surgeries(I already have bone spurs on most joints) from the OA?
I can just invision having surgery down my entire spine along with hip replacement, knee replacement, the whole nine yards.
Jeez! It's not easy getting old!
Thanks to all of you!

• I also have OA in most of my body. I had a lower lumbar fusion with instrumentation and bone graft last July and an ACDF this past March 30th with instrumentation and bone graft that kept me in the hospital for 5 days. He took the bone from the ileac this time. Along with the OA I have Osteoporosis in my hips and other joints. I don't have any magical answer for you, except I hear you and what your saying about, surgery down your entire spine. I feel like that sometimes. In November of 2009 I fractured my T 12 at work, and after that one thing led to another, and finally resulted in my latest surgery on the neck. I'm not going to give up though because that's not an option with me. (and my hubby & daughter won't let me) lol By the way you didn't say how old you were, but I'm 60, and getting ready to be the next bionic woman. LOL