Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medtronic RestoreUltra Battery Problem

windsurf1970wwindsurf1970 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I had a Medtronic RestoreUltra SCS implanted for RSD chronic pain. Six months following the initial surgery I had to have another surgery to implant another lead and check the battery because the original lead along my spine was either kinked or faulty to begin with. Needless to say, the canal with my spinal fluid was punctured during the surgery which left me on my back for 6 weeks with unbearable migraines.
The problem is that I originally had to charge the battery every 16 or 17 days, but after the second surgery, the charge has only been holding for 4 1/2 days. Medtronic has flat out refused to help me out to diagnose the problem and I am not keen on having to go through another surgery to have it removed, sent for service and then implanted again. It's not as easy and painless as Dell's Service Depot, although Medtronic wants to think it as such. Has anyone else had any problems with their RestoreUltra holding a charge or with similar problems from Medtronic?

• There's a lot of factors that go into how much power is required to run your programs within your stimulator. Do you still have the same programs as before? What is the pulse width, rate and amplitude that you are running with? A wider pulse width will draw more power but it also drives the signal deeper.

You should ask to meet with a different Medtronic Rep who may be able to help you tweak your programs and reduce your power consumption. It might be just some adjustments to your programming is required.

• Dave is on track with checking to see if your programs were changed. It can make a huge difference in power consumption. Also running sequential programs can drain power quite significantly. I run 3 sequential programs and have to recharge once a week. Has been that way for 3 years now and there's nothing wrong with my battery.

I've always had great assistance from Medtronic. No complaints whatsoever.

• Thanks for the quick response Dave. Following my first surgery I only had three programs of which I was only using two. After the second surgery, I only ended up using one of the programs. If I can recall correctly, I'm at about 75Hz and 4.2V. It doesn't make sense to me since I'm using less power from the system from before but consuming it quicker.
    I live in Poland and the Medtronic Rep I spoke to here couldn't figure the problem and tried to consult Medtronic in the US, but his questions went unanswered. ...at least that's what he told me.
  • The difference could be the pulse width. A wider pulse at that voltage and rate would consume a lot. It could also be the lead placement or just the first lead had a lot more problems than you new. My suggestion would be to ask your rep to give you control over amplitude, rate, and pulse width. Then have them show you how to make adjustments on your own with your handheld. It just might take a lot of tweaking to get it right.

• I am 2 months into my implant. I had 2 leads placed in the middle of my back and now I have 4 programs to cover what pain I am having at that time. I use about 3.50v and the pause width I keep the same to what my rep has it programmed to. Now if the coverage is does chaange alittle then I do change the width and rate. I have went almost a month without charging that was because they had surgical tape on my entire back and they didnt want to expose the charger to it unless it was about to overcharge. But when I see the battery level go down alittle from full I just charge it to top it off.

But in regards to Medtronic customer service they are very good and answer all my questions and problems. I also use their Insulin Pump and both customer service is very outstanding.

Also my medtronic rep for the neurostimulator is very smart and has covered alot of the areas he thought he would not be able to cover.

Best of luck with your stimulator and hope they can fix the battery problem.