Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about a script

ncchief30nncchief30 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Today I was give a script for Oxycodone 5mg IMM REL tablets. is this the same as norco?

Because I have been taking Norco 10/325 for the past year and a half and today due to having surgery I was given 240 Oxycodone 5mg IMM REL tablets.

What is the difference between the two is one stronger than the other?
advertisement

Comments

• Norco is acetaminophen and hydrocodone. Oxycodone is stronger. Based on the strength you are indicating, they are pretty much equivalent less the acetaminophen (tylenol) component. You have to wait and see which one works better for you.

Dave
  • How were you Rx'ed the norco opposed to the oxycodone. Seeing as you are Rx'ed 240 I am going to assume based on the little information available, that you are prescribed 1-2 (oxycodone) every 4-6 hrs as needed (or PRN). That would allow you eight a day for a 30 day supply. If that is the case, 2 will be stronger than the norco. In my experience having taken both medications, I found one 7.5 oxycodone to be about equal in pain relief to one 10mg norco. However, we are all very different.

The first day that I took oxycodone I felt very disappointed and was concerned that this medication was not going to help me, but by late that night I was getting very good pain relief and was glad that my Dr had changed my Rx. Try to give it some time.
  • I use to be on Darvocet and it was "okay" for the most part. When the FDA pulled Darvocet, I was allowed to finish what I had since I had no negative reaction with it, and moved to percocet (pharmacy gave me the generic - Oxycodone 5/325) and I found it actually helped a bit more than my (once favored) Darvocet. My only difference is 'how many' I am allowed per day compared to my Darvocet.

Next GP appointment I am going to ask to be allowed more in a day than 2! I don't need it daily, but more for flares of mechanical pain, on those days, twice a day doesn't cut it. See how you react, and if what you are on is working, if not, let your doctor know, and adjust from there.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Keep in mind that they want you off APAP leading up to and after surgery because it's an anti-inflammatory. Anti-inflams inhibit bone growth and the whole point of fusion is to grow bone. You won't be allowed to take an anti-inflams, Advil or other, for months after surgery.

It sounds like your doc is taking you off the anti-inflams and wanting to keep your pain at bay at the same time.

Eventually, I suspect, you'll be back on the Norcos when your fusion begins and you're a few months out from surgery.

Also, if they're scored and are immediate relief meds (which it sounds like they are) you can try one half or one and one half at a time to see how you do on them. Just make sure they're not extended release, which I doubt they are. You CANNOT break an extended release medication in half for fear of an overdose. See my PM on a pill identifyer link.

Cathie
  • Oxycodone is not a generic of Percocet. It's a generic of morphine. Look up the drug on drugs.com and you'll get all the info you need on that med.

It says it's not for after surgery unless you've been taking it before surgery, so that might explain the change.

Cathie
  • Cathie,

(Looking at my prescription bottle) Oxycodone - "substituted for Percocet"... If it's not the generic, then how can a pharmacy "change" your prescribed medication? Sorry, a little confused. Oxycodone and Percocet pretty much act the same for me.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I take 15mg oxycodoneIR (generic for roxicodone), it is the same as percocet but no APAP.
  • and I was right the first time. It just didn't mention it on drugs.com so I got myself confused. Plus, I'd only had one cup of coffee, so that my biggest excuse.

Thanks for straightening that out.

Cath
  • Robin said:
    I take 15mg oxycodoneIR (generic for roxicodone), it is the same as percocet but no APAP.

So what I have is percocet with out the APAP?
    I know it kills the pai a lot better than my noro. I know they gave me a lot. two scripts for 240 of them to be filled over the next two months plus my 240 norcos.
  • Oxycodone is a schedule 2 medication, which is why your Dr. wrote you Rx's rather than give you refills (schedule 2 drugs cannot be refilled). Scheduling is actually based on the potential for addiction and abuse, it is also used for relative strength comparisons. Oxycodone is considered to be stronger than hydrocodone.

I have no idea why your Dr would give you both medications, but you did say that these medications are from the same Dr., correct?

Each tablet (oxycodone) for oral administration contains 5 mg, 15 mg or 30 mg of Oxycodone hydrochloride USP. If your Rx was written for this medication then no, it has no apap. If you describe to me your pill I can tell you for certain.

• My pain doctor wrote me the the script for oxycodone because that is what my surgeon wanted me on for after surgery. The reason I have Norco scripts because I get 3 scripts from my pain doctor everytime I see her. So the last time I saw her she gave me a script for norco 240 10/325 on 02/16/11, To last me through my next appoitment.

I saw here again last week, I gave her what my surgeon wanted me to give her. She took me off the norco and told me to start taking the Oxycodone. So really I am not taking both now. I am only taking the Oxycodone.

The pill itself is small, real small, Once side has a M inside a box the Other side has 05 52 sith a line down the middle.

Robin said:
    Oxycodone is a schedule 2 medication, which is why your Dr. wrote you Rx's rather than give you refills (schedule 2 drugs cannot be refilled). Scheduling is actually based on the potential for addiction and abuse, it is also used for relative strength comparisons. Oxycodone is considered to be stronger than hydrocodone.

I have no idea why your Dr would give you both medications, but you did say that these medications are from the same Dr., correct?

Each tablet (oxycodone) for oral administration contains 5 mg, 15 mg or 30 mg of Oxycodone hydrochloride USP. If your Rx was written for this medication then no, it has no apap. If you describe to me your pill I can tell you for certain.

• Yep, that is a 5mg generic oxycodone manufactured by Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals. Are you getting better pain relief from that than the norco? I was going to mention that your Dr probably wanted you off of the Acetaminophen, but I think someone (maybe even you-lol) already mentioned it.
    I guess you are allowed up to eight a day then huh? That's probably good because I never found 5mg to last four hrs when my pain was up there. I hope you are having less pain.
advertisement