Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI T-Spine Results make me feel like a wimp!!!!

oliversmommaooliversmomma Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I got my MRI T-Spine results. They showed mild degenerative disc disease in thoracic area, a mild disc bulge at T6, and renal lesions. With the pain I've been having for over a year now, These results make me want to curl up under a rock and through my hands up in the air!!!! How could the pain be as severe as it is and the MRI was basically normal? I don't feel like there's any hope. I'm in PT now for the next two weeks. I've been on Lortab 10 and Soma 325 for past 4 months. Dr. tried me on a Butrans patch but they think I had a severe reaction to it. I went to the ER on Monday with the worst headache I've ever had in my life. It scared me because I thought it could be related to the pain patch. I was having severe head pain in my right frontal area and my pulse was 160 and I was drenched with sweat. They did a CT of Brain/Neck and only abnormality was a polyp in my sinus cavity. ER doc said the headache could be from the polyp.
Anyway, I feel like I'm gonna have this mid back pain forever. It affects my daily living so severe. I work at a desk and I'm having such a hard time throughout the day. I'm a mother to a 5 year old and it's so hard making it through the day trying to take care of him. Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

• Don't get upset about your MRI not Matching your pain. There are other tests and different Doctors read things differently. There is very little room in the thoracic spinal column and the doctors who specialize know this. Your pain is validated and further tests may get a better picture ..... Eventually (this is a journey). Hang in there. >:D<

• My disks at T8/9 and T9/10 are black, and T8/9 has bone spurs (look like bird beaks in the T-spine). With that stated, far from surgical intervention, so stuck with the daily burning ring of fire around my ribs.

Don't feel like a wimp based on an MRI. Like was said, other tests can be conducted for a more thorough diagnosis. I will say this (you won't like this part), your thoracic has to be pretty darn bad before any surgeon will go in there. I wear a rib brace when I am moving around a lot, and it does help. Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Julie :"There is very little room in the thoracic spinal column and the doctors who specialize know this." --- > this is so true,but then it looks that other who are not specialized for thoracic are stupid that they dont know this? they all have title(neurosurgeon). All they just say: pain it canot came from so litlle herniation!!!
    In my case,only 2/20 dr say the space in thoracic is tihgt...hmmmm....
  • For ANELSEN15:
    Can i try to go to CT instead of MRI to find annular tear...here on my mri is shown some spots that looks like annular tear,but i feel like noone from doctors care..
    They just keep saying...80% of people have this and dont have a pain...so im confused...
  • If your doctor is a Neurosurgeon and he says you have no pain from a small herniation maybe he is right, but maybe he is wrong. Maybe he isn't looking far enough or isn't open minded enough. I had a friend who suffered from back pain and the mri wasn't that impressive but finally they opened her up and found a shattered vertabrae. No test is complete. It just gives an impression. Getting a diagnosis is a journey (really it is). It is a slow process. Nothing in back pain happenes fast (at least for me).

My NS has never said that to me, if I have pain and it doesn't match my MRI he will order more tests. I understand some NS/OS don't want to do the study they just want to do the surgery. Right now it sounds like yours is looking at the mri saying it doesn't warrant surgery. Some patients have had great success working with a Neurologist. If you need surgery the Neurologist can reffer you.

Can you get into see a different NS/OS? I work with a PM now and it has been a godsend for me. I still see my NS but the PM is now managing my pain meds.

PS/ MY CT Meylo showed 2 torn disc (and more herniations/bulges) than my MRI. It was enough for my NS to say when I feel like jumping off a cliff to end it then we will schedule the surgery.

Feel Better :)

• Thanks everyone for your replies. I did some soul searching last night. I DO NOT want to have any more surgery. That being said, I'm going to do everything that I can do to help my pain. I'm going to PT right now and I really like my PT. I am also gonna go to a nutritionist and to talk to a counselor. I feel like I need help all the way around with this. I'm not gonna give up and just throw in the towel. I need to work on getting my core stronger.

Thanks again for your input.
  • I too have a MRI very similar to yours and my pain keep's me from doing pretty much anything. My doctor basically looked at the MRI and acted as if I couldn't possibly be hurting the way I do. He told me that I would just have to deal with it since there is nothing wrong. I asked him to refer me to a different doctor for a second oppinion. He was a pain specualist and now I am being sent to a Neurosurgeon. Don't know if that kind of doctor will be more helpfull, but am willing to try anything to make this pain go away. Thank you for sharing this, as it really helps to see others in the same boat as you that you can comunicate with.

• I agree with everyone else, that you can't go based off of just the MRI. First of all, the area of the thoracic spine is much narrower than other parts of the spine, so even a mild bulging disc can put pressure on the sensitive nerves in that region, which will, in turn, cause you pain. Pain is subjective and different people experience it differently. What I say is excrutiating pain, may only be mild pain to someone else. The fact of the matter is, your pain is VERY real. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Secondly, an MRI is not the be-all-end-all. I agree that you should get a second opinion. I had an MRI which showed several disc herniations in T8, T9, and T10, but T9 is the worst and is pressing on my spinal cord. My OS referred me to the NS who ordered a CT myelogram. A CT myelogram gives the doctor a better picture of what is going on. It highlights the nerves in that area, so that they can see how the nerves are being affected by that bulging disc. It is often used in conjunction with an MRI to give a better picture. I just had mine done yesterday. It's not the most pleasant procedure, but if it'll help the doctor come up with a plan of attack, it's worth it.

Anyway, best of luck to you!
  • I just don't really know what he can do to make it better. I will talk to him about having the CT myelogram. I'm just starting to think I'm gonna have to live with this pain for the rest of my life. I've had it for so long and it seems to be getting worse over the years. It's there when I wake up until I go to bed at night. The worst part that triggers it is sitting at my desk at work and driving. I get up every 15 minutes, walk around, stretch, etc. and it doesn't help. I wish I could cut my hours back to part time but can't financially do so right now.
    It is nice to know that their are others that can relate. ( Not that I wish this pain on anyone!) ha I liked what was said about how everyone has a different pain level and should be treated individually. To me, that has been the most difficult part with all of this. Back pain is something that people can't see, and unfortunately it gets abused so often. I get so tired of telling people that ask how I'm feeling that I don't feel well. I'm only 32 years old. It really starts to take affect of your mental health. I've made up my mind though, and I'm gonna do my part as much as I can in getting healthier. I'm going to start walking more and maybe try yoga to help strengthen my core. I'm also going to start seeing a therapist. I'm a wife, mother, nurse, friend etc. and I need to start taking time out for me.
    If anyone wants to IM me, feel free to do so. It's always nice to have someone to talk to that can relate. :)
  • I can totally relate!! Others can't see the pain, so they have a hard time believing that you can be in that much pain. I hear ya on being young...I'm only 29. I should NOT be suffering like this. I have three beautiful children that I should be chasing after and playing with. I'm also a nurse, so I totally understand where you are coming from, except I have been unable to find a desk job as a nurse. Any desk jobs I apply for say they want experience.

It sounds like you have developed a good plan, though, and I hope that you see improvement. I've been through PT and have been doing yoga and stretching and walking, etc. Unfortunately I haven't seen a difference. I've also had a couple of injections, which only made the pain worse.

Fingers crossed that we all experience relief soon!
  • Sounds like we have quite a bit in common! My job was a blessing. I can't imagine working on a floor like this. The bad part is sitting for long periods of time makes things so much worse for me. I'm just tired of the pain. Have you had surgery? I had C5C6 ACDF on March 7 2011 and Carpal Tunnel Release in my left hand on April 15th. I was in the military from 1999 to 2005 and I fell off an aircraft in 2001. I think that fall is what triggered my spinal problems. They did a general Xray at that time which didn't show a break, so no other treatment was done. My thoracic pain has been since then. In the past year and half it's gotten tremendously worse. I just wish it would stop. There's so many things I wanna do but I get started doing them, and here comes the pain. Its really frustrating.
  • I can imagine sitting can be painful as well. It honestly seems like there is no comfortable position these days. No, I haven't had surgery yet. I injured myself lifting my 40-lb daughter into her highchair this past October. I was rushing and did a twisting motion to get her in, and I hear a pop and immediately felt pain. I had the MRI done and they found the herniated discs, and since then I've just been trying to manage it conservatively, but nothing is helping thus far. I just had the myelogram done yesterday, and I have an appt with the NS on Tuesday, at which point they are going to discuss surgical options. Not sure what can be done, though, as I've heard many doctors won't perform the surgery because of how involved it is. I am going to talk to him about maybe seeing a chiropractor and just get his thoughts on it. If he tells me he can't do anything for me, then I'll try the chiropractor. If that doesn't work, then I'll go down to Philly and see if I can get a second (although, technically third) opinion at one of the larger hospitals down there. But, for now I'm just going to try to wait it out and see what the NS. I just pray he has some answers for me.

How many kids do you have and how old are they? How was it recovering from surgery and having children to take care of? That is my biggest fear, aside from the fear of something bad happening during the surgery. Luckily my parents live right around the corner from me, so I'd probably end up staying at their house for a couple of weeks while I recover. But that is definitely one of the biggest factors that would discourage me from having surgery, is the fact that I have three children to take care of and I hate to be a burden on my parents.
  • im realy now how you feel...im 25 now and suffering from thoracic back pain 2 years allready...im realy not sure if they will touch you since this is thoracic. as i found,dr would rather get brain surgery then thoracic spine...
    this sucks so much....
    if no one wil do surgery...i will perform it by my own...:)hehe