Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bulging disc after L4/L5 PLIF and revision surgery

huskymomhhuskymom Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. I had l4/l5 PLIF in September of 09 and had revision surgery in October, 2010. I had a non-union and the hardware was coming out. I just had a CT scan of my lumbar spine to confirm that I am fused from the 2nd surgery, which I believe I am, and to determine why I have new nerve pain at S1 going down my butt and back of the left leg and in my 2 outside toes. I just received the report from the hospital and am waiting for my visit with the dr on the 27th. The report says that I have a bulging disc at L4/L5 and am confused because the disc should have been removed completely from the fusion surgery. Anyone have any ideas?

This is what the radiologist put as his impression on the report: no destructive change is seen but there does appear to be some soft tissue thickening and loss of fat planes on the left and disc bulge into the lateral recess and perhaps even involving the nerve before the neural foramen is suggested. Although there is metal artifact present, MRI may be helpful in confirming this or study after myelography could be performed.

• did they do a discography before surgey?

1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • After I read "The report says that I have a bulging disc at L4/L5" my first thought was how is that when there is no disc there...

That would be my FIRST question to the surgeon who did the surgery and if it were me(but this is just me and I'm a bit aggressive)I'd be on the phone asking...UMMMMM what is this???? I don't want you to sit there until the 27th and go crazy thinking bout this...

I had a two level surgery...one disc(C5-6) got sucked out and an artificial one put there and the second(C6-7) was sucked out cadaver bone placed with a plate and 4 screws...so although I didn't have a 2 level fusion I had 2 discs worked on...

I'm in the medical field and knew alot about the surgery just from my profession plus a WHOLE lot of research since I was down for almost 18 months before surgery was approved...I'm a CA Comp case so it took forever to get EVERYTHING approved...I hope all goes well and you get your answers needed...take care...
  • Hi, I have exactly the same surgery 3 months ago and had and MRI with exact same report. Can you tell what you found out? Thank you in advance! I am just baffled by this whole thing and experiencing more pain than before.

David In Florida