Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My legs are asleep!

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Chronic Pain
I posted this in the thoracic group, but it's pretty slow over there so I figured I'd ask here as well. I have several thoracic disc herniations, which were diagnosed via MRI. I think they said T8, T9, and T10 all had herniations, but T9 was the worst of them. There may be other smaller ones as well, but I can't remember. I also have moderate DDD, moreso than you'd see in a 29-year old female. Anyway, my typical pain is in the mid-back area, and it wraps around my sides and to the front, just below my ribs. Occasionally it radiates to my upper and lower back as well.

In the last two weeks, I have experienced increased back pain, as well as the pain that radiates to the front. Around the time that I noticed the increased back pain, I also began feeling a pins and needles sensation in my legs and feet. It feels like my legs and feet are almost constantly asleep. I also get these electric shock type pains down both legs, along with muscle spasms. It comes and goes, but it's getting worse and worse, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to walk because of it. I usually take my two little girls on walks every day around the neighborhood (weather-permitting), but I'm finding it harder and harder to do so. My legs feel weak and I'm afraid I'm going to fall.

I had a CT myelogram done yesterday, but the results aren't back yet. I have my follow-up appt with the NS on Tuesday to discuss surgical options (their words; not mine), and they will have the results then. I called their office today to ask about this numbness and tingling sensation, but I was only able to speak with the PA. She was definitely concerned about it, and she said if it gets any worse I'm supposed to go to the ER so that "they can get the ball rolling." (Again, her words).

Anyway, do you think this is purely coincidental, or is this likely related to the herniated discs in my back?

On a good note, I talked to a friend today who injured her back several years ago. She gave me information on an organization that helps pay medical expenses for things such as PT and chiropractors, in order to help you get back to work. She also gave me the name of her chiropractor, and I'm thinking about trying it. I'll be honest with you, I have a fear of chiropractors. One wrong move and I could be paralyzed. Interesting, being that I'd actually consider letting them cut into my back. But, I feel like I've tried everything else (PT, injections, muscle relaxants, steroids, NSAIDS, yoga, stretching, walking, etc). I guess I feel like this is my last option before going under the knife, if that is truly what the NS recommends. I'm praying that the chiropractor can help to relieve some of this pain. I'm not expecting a miracle, and I'm trying to be realistic. I realize that it may not take away all of the pain, but it would be nice if it was at least manageable. I have three children to take care of, and I can not afford to be in pain all day long. Fingers crossed that the chiropractor can help me! After that, it's in the hands of God, I guess.

• I understand your concern and your despair is quite evident in your posts. Might I suggest you take a step back, try to take it easy and wait till you have had your appointment with the NS before embarking on something new. The myelogram should shed some light on where you are.

• Yes, I agree. I need to take a deep breath and take one step at a time. I have a habit of getting ahead of myself. The appt is only 4 days away, so I suppose I can wait to see what the NS says. ::deep breath in:: ::deep breath out::
  • Welcome to SH, by the way.

Generally, with disc herniations or even suspected problems in the spine that my be close or touching the cord, chiropractors are a no-no. Why risk manipulation that can do more harm than good?

Like Dave, I understand your urgency in trying to feel better, but a spiney's life is hurry up and wait. So, just a few more days - take it easy and wait to see what they say. Don't get so desperate as to put yourself in danger, ok?

• Thank you for this information, Cathie! I will definitely hold off on doing anything until I see the NS, and I will make sure to talk to him first. I definitely don't want to do anything to make things worse.
  • I do see a chrio BUT he refused to touch me until he could review my MRIs and then we worked around my issues. Like he does my knees and hips which you would be amazed how much that helps my back.
    He remains in contact with my Drs and treads very carefully with me.

Once a chro knows we have a neck/back injury they should demand seeing your tests results and if they don't then please don't let them touch you.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Kim,

Basically I will have to echo what was already said here concerning chiropractic manipulation. My (former) chiropractor was really good, went to him for years. Once it was found that I had herniations affecting nerves (and cord for 2 levels), he refused to work near those areas for fear of adding more damage.

My surgeon when I asked him about getting manipulated for my lower back for instance (no surgery there yet, 2 levels herniated) he crossed both index fingers and said "No, do not get manipulated. No more chiropractor for you, understand?" (me) "Yes Dr. P, I understand." I figure if my chiro & my NS says no, that's a clue. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you, Brenda. I had wondered if it was safe to see a chiro, given the nature of my problems. However, I've had family and friends that kept pushing me to make an appt with one. After reading all of the posts here, I definitely do NOT want to chance it. So I'll wait to see the NS and go from there. I'm just hoping for some answers. Only 2 more days to get through until my appt. For now, I'm battling a spinal headache from the CT myelo on Thursday. Ugh!
This discussion has been closed.