Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1 C2 fusion with screws

t8mtwntt8mtwn Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I'm 26 years old and on February 27, 2011, I was shot in the face by a stray bullet which caused me to fracture my C1. I have already had 2 surgeries to rebuild my cheek and nose as well as repair my sinus cavity. It is now May and I was just told by my neurosurgeon that my neck has not healed at all and that it is actually getting worse. He then told me that I had to have surgery. My surgery is scheduled for May 24 and I'm very nervous. I'm just trying to find out what should I expect during post op. No one I know really understands what I'm going through and I have no idea what is going to happen after surgry. How long does it take to fully recover? Any information you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

• I had an ACDF C6-7 w/cadaver bone-plate-screws and ACDR C5-6 on April 18th 2011...

First lets start by saying this was the best thing I ever did...I had constant pain(8/10)/burning/spasms that went down my L arm and basically made the arm useless...As soon as I woke up from surgery I could tell things were better already...sure there was a little pain(4/10)/mild burning/few spasms but was WAY better than before...

The first two weeks are the worst(as I was told)...I felt really tired...had no appetite...and my throat hurt like you wouldn't believe from the esophagus be pulled over during surgery to reach my spine...the incision was slightly sore...and it took me forever to get around the house as I was toodling not walking like normal:)

I had a soft collar for the first two weeks that I had to keep on unless I was in the shower...just FYI I needed my Hubby to was my hair...I had to hold my head to make sure my neck didn't move while he scrubbed:)

I was in the recliner most the first 2wks...I could get the most comfy in it...I had a table next to me with all my necessities...we had walkie talkies by us...one for me...one for the hubby...he took it with him every where he went in case I needed him...

At my 2 wk check up most of my restrictions were lifted...I still have to wear my collar when in the car(NO DRIVING STILL)...sleeping...and while exercising which for now involves a mild 1 mile walk around the neighborhood...but I'm just ecstatic to be out of the house!!! I am doing so well I am able to go another 6 wks until my next check up...

I have to admit I still tire easily like my surgeon said I would but he said I should perk up here in the next couple of weeks and to just sleep when my body wants to...it is healing...

Ask away with questions...as long as I get my daily walk in...I have alot of free time on my hands and since I am able to hear myself think again I would be happy to answer any concerns...I knew alot about the surgery going into it since I'm in the medical field...but was surprised at some of the "new" aches and "new" pains that came with the surgery...take care!!!

• Hi so sorry to hear of your recent problems, I to have been told ( last week ) that I must have c1 c2 fusion and will be having surgery on the 20 th may. I to am scared as I have read such horrific stories, my surgeon said after i will have very little movement side to side but up and down should not be to affected, he said i will be able to drive ( how i'm not sure )he said it won't hurt as much as my knee repl i had last year, who's he kidding. I know i will be in a collar for 3 mths which he did say will drive me mad.Thank god my mum will be free to look after us all afterwards. I won't be able to let you know how i go on, obviousley but good luck to both of us, just praying i come through it and my n. surgeon knows what he is doing. Take care. Michelle
  • I wish the both of you the best of luck...hopefully you can wake up like me and be in less pain than before...keep us updated when you can...take care!!
  • Thank you to everyone who responded. The surgery went well. It is now 1 week after my surgery. The doctors informed me that my C2 was too thin, so they had to use rods and fuse the C1 and C3 together. The initial pain from the incision is slowly but surely fading away but I have noticed that I have a lot of pain in the back of my head. I haven't been able to get back to my normal activities yet. Right now I'm just taking my medicine and resting. My first follow-up appointment it the 17th of June. I will keep you all posted.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If the fusion was done posteriorly (from the back of the neck) the pain level you have is normal. I had an ACDF (anterior) which resulted in far less pain then my posterior foramionotomy C5-C7
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos