Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI pain

msfloridammsflorida Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
So I was told there is a "sugar shot" and than you wear a belt for 6 weeks, but if your SI joint is not in place when they do the shot, it will be worse in the long run. Also, I was told only physical therapy can help with this problem.

Clearly, I am wrong, thank you all for postings and experience with the SI joint.

• This can be a tough problem to treat for some folks. Usually, treatment begins conservatively with physical therapy. If that does not work then a cortisone injection can be placed into the SI joint. If the pain returns following that, you may be looking at some of the more involved interventions such as radio-frequency nerve ablation and other options. However, if you are just beginning your treatment, I would take it one step at a time, from the beginning, and your pain might resolve without having to use one of the last resort treatments. I did not find the belt to be of any use, but many people do find it helpful if you are in the early stages of treatment. Some pain medications can be used as well if you are uncomfortable as can a tens unit which you can buy online for about $50. Best wishes to you. Lisa.
  • I have had both an SI joint injection and I've worn the belt...the injection made me worse and gave me new symptoms that took over a year to go away. I wore the belt almost continuously for about a year, and now I just wear it when I'm either in a lot of pain or I know I'm going to be sitting for a long time. It definitely makes me feel better, but it hasn't cured me.
  • I have had belts and not found a lot of relief from them. I recently had cortisone injections in both SI joints. I have never had success with cortisone and was very hesitant to have it done, but this would be the firs time in the SI joint. The first injection was not successful as they were not able to get in very far. The 2nd one went in further and I got relief, along with new anti-inflammatories - Voltaren. Along with my pain meds the pain is somewhat under control. I am glad I went for the 2nd round of shots.

Next step is radio frequency ablation and I have had those in my back without much success. Hoping to avoid the next step tho. The pain management doc says pinning the SI joint is the best thing but I have already had 3 fusions - am fused L1-S1 and can't even think of another one. The SI joint is a long recovery as you are non weight bearing for 2-3 months and I think they do each side separately. As long as I can control the pain I won't have to have that done.

Good luck!!

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.