Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

strong spasms in legs ????

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372

I was wondering if anyone else suffers with spasms in their legs, and if so, do you know what is causing them?

I seem to get them in the morning as I start to move while still in bed. I can only describe it as feeling like I am stretching my legs, but they are doing it themselves. I also notice that my back arches slightly and I also feel tightening in my lower abdomen. It just seems to do it once or twice while I am in bed.

Then when I am having breakfast, if I get up to go and pour a cup of tea (for instance) I get them again while I am standing still. Again in my thighs and lower abdomen. Once I get moving for the day, I don't get them again, although I have got them after sitting for a long time, when I first get up. I wouldn't say that it is painful, but it is very noticeable and the muscles tighten strongly.

Weird!!

I wonder what it means. I don't think I used to get it before my surgery.

advertisement

Comments

• Am I the only one with this symptom?

• I have just found that leg spasms and spacticity can be a symptom of cervical spinal stenosis and myelopathy.

Perhaps I have put this in the wrong section to get a response. Or else I am just weird!! Lol

• Hi,
    I get similar spasms since my surgery(L4/L5PLIF/XLIF)
    I have significant nerve damage so I know my spasms are caused by that.
    My right leg suddenly twitches and jerks usually at night or when I am tired.Sometimes it does it pretty severly. My food is the worst. My right big toe and pointer toe twitch for literly hours at a time. I also get what my wife call spock foot. My pinky and index toe bend into the vulcan hand signal. When this happens three of my toes and part of my food become very tight feeling and am unable to move them.
    Gimpy