Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tims03svtTTims03svt Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone! My name is Tim and I'm new to the site. I hope to find some info here relating to my on going condition. I'm a 22 year old extremely healthy male that suffers from a herniated L5-S1 with an annular tear. The disc is impinging the s1 nerve and causes pain down threw my left leg and into my left foot. This has been going on for 17 months. I have taken neurmous meds, done physical therapy, had three injections, and tried aqua therapy + traction. All of this has done very little to help me. I made an appt with a surgeon and he does not want to operate because of my age...

The worst part is this is a workers comp case. So somethings I can not do like chiropracting.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to get some good feedback.

• Welcome to SH! Sorry that you are in pain.You are so young to be going through this, but you definately need some help regardless of your age,whether it be surgery or some other form of treatment. Have you tried a tens unit in the mean time to help with pain levels?
    Have you looked in to getting a second opinion.
    Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Karen, thank you and yes I have a tens unit but I don't get much to any relief from it. This is one stubborn problem that won't go away for me. I have always bounced rite back from my other injuries.

Second opinions are hard to come by on a comp case. I try to make them pay for as much as possible. But I do agree I need to get one on my own time. Family, friends, and people I meet tell me to go see this local guy so I'll make an appt soon.
  • Welcome to our forum. :)))

Yes, you are young if surgery is your best option. See how you go with this new surgeon and see what he recommends. Surgery is always the last option because the changes which are made to your spine are permanent and the recovery period is long and restrictive.

As you've been in pain for 17 months and the herniation isn't resolving itself, you do need to find a doctor who can help you. It's no fun not being able to fully participate in life.

I'm old enough to be your grandmother and my last surgery was successful, but I always have to keep my back in mind with whatever activities I'm doing, and there's some I'll never be able to do again. However, I enjoy what I can do.

Don't give up trying to find someone who may be able to help you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Trish, thank you. I agree I'm young. It's very hard to be in this position because my friends get to do whatever they like but I have to sit on the bench:/

I will update with what the doctor says and what this new surgeon says.

Now 17 months seams like such a long time for this to heal? I see most people say 1-6 weeks to 6 months a small to mild herniation will heal? The doc says mine is mild. The disc is 3.5mm out with an annular tear. I'm not a doctor so I don't know how bad 3.5mm is. My spinal canal is 16.5mm so to me 3.5mm seams like a fair amount.

Do doctors operate due to the amount the disc is herniated or but how much pain the person is in?

• Tim,
    Trust your instinct,it isn't acceptable to tolerate pain. One thing for sure you should still not be in this level of pain. Have you seen a spinal surgeon or an ortho who specializes in spinal diseases.Keep going until you find someone to help you.It's so difficult to have to keep battling when you feel so horrible, but sounds like you can't continue like this.
  • I have seen a surgeon and he said due to my age he did not want to operate...? Also I see an ortho atleast once a month. I can not continue like this because it's effecting my job and my personal life.
  • First of all, I'm sorry to hear you are suffering. I, too, am young...29 to be exact. However, I have found a great neurosurgeon who thinks surgery is my best bet. I am getting a second opinion to be sure this is truly the last resort. I don't know how it works with worker's comp, but I definitely think you need to see another doctor, preferrably a neurosurgeon. Yes you are young, but if it's affecting your quality of life, age should not matter.