Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Month Post Surgery - Normal?

amosaamos Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey Gang -

I had an ACDF (c5-7) on 3.24 - almost two months ago. Trying to gage my current symptoms on the 'normal' scale. I felt like I was doing pretty well, got back into my normal life, and now I have new symptoms - ugh!

Here they are -

-I get a pain on the inside of my right shoulder blade that extends down the side of my right arm. Sometimes, it's no big deal. Others, I'm back on the couch with a heating pad and Advil My surgeon wasn't sure why this was happening - told me to get another x-ray in a few weeks. Thought maybe it had to do with the C-7 - the new 'curves' (bone graft, plate) meeting a very straight rest of the back. Said we could do an MRI, or just wait to see if it gets better on it's own. It's definitely aggravated by the more activity I do.

-Still feel that flipping plate in my throat. Not so much like a chicken bone caught in your throat, but more like someone is just slightly squeezing my throat - there is just less room.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this? Anything I can do (aside from Advil) to alleviate internal swelling? Diet, exercise?

• Amos,

You are still pretty early in your recovery from surgery. Your spine is forever changed due to a portion of it being fused - it does translate and affect your whole spine believe it or not. Your body too is still going through a LOT of adjustments (muscles, ligaments, spine loading) as well.

Spasms can last for months up to even a year! I know my worst ones where the first 6 months or so. Some of these spasms can mimic your pre-surgical symptoms as well. I know, "that bites", but many on here can relate to that, and probably echo that in here as a response to you.

You need to judge week to week, and not day to day. Some of your recovery too goes to how long your nerves were entrapped, and too their healing rates. Most nerve healing is around 1mm a day - and that is tiny. By example, if your leg falls asleep, and as it wakes, what do you feel? Pain! Nerves HATE being pinched, trapped, compressed, so they are going to let you know that!

Of course the biggie, if you get really concerned, call your surgeon. We pay them the big bucks for a reason! (G) Per chance, are you on any muscle relaxers? Those can help with spasms a bit too. I hope you are feeling better soon.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda -

You are great. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I see you do it on many others, too. It helps so very much to get the skinny from those who have gone through it.

On the sunny side, I'm able to do tons of stuff, and have to remember how lucky I am to be walking, lifting my son, back at work - I simply need to remember to give my body a break already. I felt like I was kind of a weird situation - I really didn't have pain prior to surgery, just a very compressed cord - the whole 'ticking time bomb' scenario. So, all this pain stuff is new to me, but who am I to complain.

Nothing but Advil. I do have muscle relaxers, but have barely used them. Occasionally I'll pop a Vicodin if it's bad - but usually rest kicks it.

How's your healing going? Hope it is well!

Take care, Amy
  • Amy,

Happy to help where I can. :)

My C5/6 was on the cord, and man-o-man-o the pain was the worst. I'm glad to hear you didn't suffer that side of it!!

Yeah, it's hard when you are having a good day, or a few good days to remember you had surgery, and you do "regular" activities, and then blamo, pay for it! It will get better as time goes by thankfully.

Healing for me? Lol! I'm a work in progress I think! (G) Just keep reminding yourself you had surgery, let your body continue to heal, and hopefully you will have years and years before (or even if) any other issues come up. Support *HUGZ* that you continue to see improvement!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.