Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello - 37 year old lower back pain and neck pain

jonholukjjonholuk Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, I'm Jon.

Bit about me: 37 years old, 5 foot 11, married, 16 month old daughter (very cute!) .. good fitness until above daughter turned up!! .. then put about 10kg on .. use to mountain bike most weekends, gym. Web developer so sit at desk a lot.

On Feb 10th I woke up with lower back pain, after 3 days while I was bent over changing my daughter I had the shooting pain down my left leg and throbbing shin. .. went to Dr who gave anti imflam.. This constant pain luckily lasted only a few hours .. it still hurt like hell when I tried moving but over time its eased so the shin only hurts when I do something stupid or try and jog (so I don't jog!!). Also if i sit for a long time, like at work ..the base of my back hurts / bum. So I have to get up and move a lot! (got lumber support now which helps)

About April time I started getting pain in my right shin ... which over time went to my foot and then to my left foot. This wasn't constant and not radiating down my leg .. and it seemed to jump around a lot .. maybe my big toe would hurt and go a little numb.. then my little toe on other foot .. then maybe my heel would hurt... this was usual worse after I've been sitting a while.... I went to the Dr's who did the laying on your back and lift each leg test and that didn't hurt so they thought it was muscular... They recommend the mackenzie back book which I bought and read .. but it didn't seem to make any difference. I've started swimming and walking 2 miles every lunch time which does help.. I've lost a stone in weight.. so gone from 93kg to about 85kg. The foot pain has mostly gone but they still randomly get numb (toes, heel, base of foot) or I might have shin pain which lasts a minute or so.. then goes

But about a week ago I noticed a few pains in my hands which has progressed to neck, shoulder, hand and finger pain...This again comes and goes ..
again nothing like the original radiating pain I had in the leg but over the last week got a little worse each day.

I feel a bit of a fool posting on here because after reading what other people are going through my symptoms seem minor ...but to me... getting it in my arms and neck after 3 months of it with my legs its depressing. (also its nice writing it all out..therapeutic)

I have my first physiotherapy appointment tomorrow .. so it will be interesting to see what she says... I was stupidly doing breaststroke while I was swimming .. So I'm wondering if this was the cause of my neck problem.. Though I was taking it easy in the pool.

So these are the questions which are flying around my head:

1) Do you think physiotherapy should be my next step
2) should I try and get an MRI (which seems almost impossible in the UK unless your in a lot of pain/completely numb leg).
3) Maybe I should pay for one privately...
4) Am I just unlucky that I have my neck and lower back go within 3 months .. or could this be DDD (my sister who is 51 has DDD in lower back).
5) Our mattress at home is so bad .. bows in the middle (new one on order) could this be the cause of everything.

Ok I'll stop now .. I need to go walk around the office and stretch back :O).. thanks for reading.

Jon.

advertisement