Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone know which is the best spinal cord stimulator?

hmbledkimhhmbledkim Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi. I been reading posts on here for years, but never posted anything before.
I'm in bad shape , like most people on here I suppose, in agony, at my last straw. I went to a new PM today, thought I was going for a pain pump consult, didn't qualify. After 4 years of hearing about the stimulator, I trusted this doctor, don't know why..I'm going for it. I looked up the one he want's to use, Boston Science and all I read were horror stories.
Can anyone recommend what is the best one to put in my body? I cannot go though anymore faulty hardware.

I had 3 back surgeries, was 180 fused, Dr went in to fuse the rest of me, found my hardware was defected, causing my brutal pain, then found my nerves were crushed between my L4 L5 because first Dr ( Butcher) didn't fuse me all the way, and now I have permanant nerve damage. I can't do anything. Drive, sit for more than half an hour in a car, chair, anything, no quality of life..I sleep on ice and heat, blah, we all have our stories..sorry..I just want to get this stimulator in me and hope to get some life back..

Thanks and peace
advertisement

Comments

• Each stimulator has it's pros and cons as well as supporters. All that really matters is whether or not the one used helps you in your pain management program. When you go through the trial, you will find out whether or not the BS stimulator will work for you or not.

Don't get too stressed over the differences in the stimulators. If your doc has one he particularly fancies, he will be far more familiar with it's functions and features.

"C"
  • when I got mine I look and read everything I could fine on SCS MY choice was Boston Scientific. If you want more infor email me.

jim
  • When my PM doc recommended an SCS I contacted my neurologist first thing. He said he would only accept a Medtronics SCS because I can still have brain MRI's after the implant.
    Jay
  • I have been very happy with my Boston Scientific SCS, especially with their representatives who have worked with me. My SCS did stop working and had to be replaced this week, but we found out during surgery that the problem was not the unit itself, just in the way it had been attached during surgery and those anchors had eventually cut through the wire that delivers the power to the unit! They do not anchor the paddle lead in the same manner that they used to.
  • I received my stimulator in Aug. 2008 for phrephial nereourathy in the left ankle andit took away 60% of my pain. the pain is not as bad when i got injured in April of 2007 i have m good ays and my bad days i don't have to take a lot of medicationlike I use to. I only take lorab as needed i use alidoderm patch and special made cream for ankle but most of time i can take 2 aleves a]unless the the pain is unbearable to where i can't tolerate then i would take a Loratab.

• I think the reason that you came across so many horror stories may be because people who are unhappy will take the time to talk about and complain about the product. Mainly because they are probably still in a lot of pain, therefore they are indoors more too (my guess),as opposed to those who have had successful outcomes and are enjoying their lives-and less likely to be online talking about their SCS.
    I do feel that negative reports get more press, or are simply .. more noticed.
  • I agree with the earlier post that most people are likely to post when disappointed rather than pleased. I have a friend with a Boston Scientific and he's pleased with it. I have a Medtronic (recently implanted, just over a month) and so far I'm pleased. Mine's not perfect, and neither is my friend's, but we've both agreed we'd do it again. A poster did mention that the Medtronic SCS does allow for head MRIs and that's a plus. I also have a VNS (implanted 2005) and can't have head MRIs in spite of having the Medtronic and that's never been a problem. I just get a CT scan instead. Go with what you're comfortable with - you'll be the one living with it.
  • [When my PM doc recommended an SCS I contacted my neurologist first thing. He said he would only accept a Medtronics SCS because I can still have brain MRI's after the implant.]

They ALL have metal in them!

But I agree that you want the one that the surgeon likes to work with the most, and has implanted the most.
  • The brand name on the stimulator isn't nearly as important as understanding the type of stimulation you need to effectively cover the type of pain you have, because each brand has strengths and weaknesses where the lead options are concerned.

All the power in the world won't do a bit of good if you can't get it where it needs to be and recruit the nerve fibers that will produce the best results.

• BionicWoman said:

All the power in the world won't do a bit of good if you can't get it where it needs to be and recruit the nerve fibers that will produce the best results.

AMEN!
  • BionicWoman said:
    The brand name on the stimulator isn't nearly as important as understanding the type of stimulation you need to effectively cover the type of pain you have, because each brand has strengths and weaknesses where the lead options are concerned.

Very well put. Any of the approved devices should work with decent efficacy. But if you're still concerned, talk to your doctor about her/his experiences treating patients with the various brands, and the feedback they've given. The trick is getting a good surgeon, and communicating your needs/desires precisely (and making sure s/he makes notes of them). Once you've gotten to that point, make sure you observe the restrictions so the leads stay put. The lead will likely move a tad as it scars in, but my friend did not follow aftercare instructions and his moved. He emphasized to me how important that is.
  • I would agree with all comments, however I have had a Medtronic SCS since 2005 I was happy with the product until it stopped working three years later. Since then it has been a royal pain in the you know what. I have not used the SCS in fact they turned it off due to over simulation, and they don't know why. Sad to say but would NOT recommend them. Just a piece of info Medtronic does pay the doc's to promote there product. Theres is coming out and Boston going in.
advertisement