Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Months Post-Op Sever Spasms & Pain

mrossomx2mmrossomx2 Coal center Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know I am not far out from surgery but I am concerned. I had my surgery on March 11, 2011.

I was good at 6 weeks some pain in right leg but not severe. Starting at 8 weeks the pain began to become intense. I called my Neuro's office and I explained that I cannot make it through the day without 3200 mg of motrin and my Oxy which is now gone. I try to not do much but I want to do some walking as well because it is not good to sit all day.

Symptoms - Right hip and leg pain (similar to sciatica but not the same) it is more intense than before surgery. I feel like the swelling in my back is rubbing on something. Sever muscle atrophy of lower back muscles, once I lay down I have no strength to get up. My right hamstring is so tight it hurts as well when walking.

I hope this does not sound whiney but I did have an MRI last week I am waiting for the results but my appt is next week and they will not give me the results via phone.

Any one else go through similar problems

Thank you

• Your not alone.

It does sound like you are having major muscle spasms, do you have any relaxers?

I too have hit the spasms last week (6 week post op ALif l5/s1). I really do sympathise, as spasms are soooo damn painful.No amount of opiods will touch my spasm pain, but diazepam is working well.

Have you tried a tens machine?hot/cold pack? Can you stretch your legs to help without too much discomfort?

Your back muscles have compensated for sooo long, they will all be re-jigging to cope with the new fusion.

I hope you get your results soon.

L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • mrossomx2mmrossomx2 Coal center Posts: 42
    Glassback - Thank you for the feed back. I do have a Tens Unit. I also still go to my Chiropractor for him to use ice for the swelling and his Tens Unit but no adjustments.

Yeah my back muscles before surgery had been in a permanent spasm for 8+ years, because of all of the damage from my pars fracture they were so tight. So now that I had my surgery they have released and went to hell.

I cannot start physical therapy until my dr releases me to and since I had the MRI they told me to wait. But I will try some leg stretches at home to see if it helps

I know this is a long recovery but it is hard. I have had many many surgeries and them saying the recovery is 6+ months and it actually taking that long are two different things.
  • Valium(diazepam) helps me with my spasms most of the time...I get them in my neck and all across the back of my shoulders...they have let up since surgery but even after surgery(4 wks post-op) I still get them from time to time and it seems like when I get them now they are back with a vengeance...or I'm just whiny...lol...but really they aren't funny...the spasms cause me hot flashes...nausea...dizziness...
    until they let up...UGGGGG...I feel your pain...I'm not sure if you've tried Valium before...but it's worth a try if you haven't...;))