Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update: appt with NS today

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Chronic Pain
So, I had my appt today and it went well. He reviewed the CT myelogram with me and said that it showed several disc herniations throughout my t-spine, which is quite surprising being that I'm only 29 years old. He said in some cases this is due to a genetic condition that may appear later in life. The worst of the discs are T8-T9 and T9-T10, both of which are compressing my spinal cord. I asked him if he thought a chiropractor would help, and he confirmed what many of you said...most chiro's won't touch you if they know you have herniated discs.

He feels surgery is a good option for me due to my symptoms, however, it will not involve a thoracotomy, which is what I was fearful of. He said he'll make two small incisions in my back, in the areas of the herniated discs, and basically take the pressure off of my spine. It's done on an outpatient basis, so I won't have to stay in the hospital. He said it likely won't take my pain completely away, which I already knew, but he believes it'll help quite a bit. He said I'll need a significant amount of help with the kids for at least the first two weeks, and then I'll start PT after that. I feel good about this. I didn't realize that they could do this surgery from the back. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time!

• Kim I'm so glad your appointment went well!! That's so great that he can do a less invasive procedure to help you. I saw mine today too, and he's going to do another foraminotomy which is what I had the last time, but on the other side of my neck this time around. Did they give any indication as to when he'll be able to do the surgery for you?
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Glad that you are happy about your appointment today with NS. Your surgery is coming up soon (June 8th)
    Glad for you that it will be less invasive.

I truly hope that this brings you some much needed pain relief.You don't have long to wait and prepare. Try to take some time for you, and do something special for yourself.

Best wishes to you

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • having a microdiscectomy? If so, you may experience a good amount of relief, but if you do, please remember to be very careful. I had a microD and felt great, so I soon began to push the exercise, etc. Well, my relief lasted about six months before I began to deteriorate again. I hope you get some relief, but do remember to be careful!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
This discussion has been closed.