Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm having surgery!

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
June 8th is the big day. I saw the NS today and he went over the results from my CT myelo. It showed herniations throughout my thoracic spine, but T8-9 and T9-10 are the worst and are compressing my spinal cord. I didn't realize that they could operate from the back in the thoracic region, but he said they will make two small incisions on my back in the area of the discs and basically take the pressure off of my spinal cord. It's a same-day surgery, so I won't have to stay overnight in the hospital. He said he feels that this will help with most of my pain, but obviously it won't completely cure me. He said I should expect to need significant help with the kids for at least two weeks afterwards, and then I'll be able to start some PT. He said it is definitely unusual to have so many disc herniations at my age, being that I'm only 29. He mentioned that in some cases, when they see several herniations like that, it points to a genetic condition of the spine, but he didn't really go into detail about that.

So, what do you guys think? Does it sound promising?

• Good luck. So is the surgeon using a lazer or a s scalpel to remove the disc matter? Have you had any previous spinal surgerie?

Keep us posted,
  • yeah same qouestion from me? what type of surgery will u have?
  • No previous spinal surgery. He didn't say he would be using a lazer, so I assume he's using a scalpel?
  • .... surgeries.... sorry about the spelling.

Kim- I am just curious. Have you had any other opinions? I just ask because I am in the same boat and will likely end up with another surgery in the same region. My NS wants to do another fusion but my PM said discectomy is better is I am a candidate. It doesn't sound like I am but I want to get another opinion when I can.

The only discetomy (percutaneous) I found with rapid recovery like you are talking about in the T-Spine was the lazer and that one did not have the best results but is pushed a lot by certain clinics.

Good luck and keep us informed. I am very interested. Definately plan on having help for a few weeks. How old are your kids?

• Julie -

Technically this WAS my second opinion. My PCP referred me to an OS, who referred me to the NS for a second opinion. This is my first ever spinal surgery, so I am guessing he wants to go the least invasive route to begin with? I'm not too familiar with this stuff. Do you think I need to get a second opinion by another NS? I felt that this doctor really knew what he was talking about. He is the chief of NS at one of the major hospitals in my area.

My kids are 10, 2.5, and 15 months (will be 16 months at the time of my surgery).

I guess I'm wondering how much relief this will provide me, but I know that no one here can answer that. I was working as a nurse at the hospital that I'm having surgery at, before I hurt my back. Since then I've been unable to work, as I am in severe pain pretty much all day every day. I applied for disability, which I found out was denied. I was going to hire a lawyer and appeal it, especially in light of the results of the CT myelo. However, if there is any chance of getting back to work after the surgery, then maybe it's not worth it to continue with the disability application. Not quite sure what to do.
  • kime can you send me in inbox name of this dr that you go to him? and mybe some contact if u have it?
  • kime can you send me in inbox name of this dr that you go to him? and mybe some contact if u have it?