Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-S1 ALIF tomorrow

ColeyCColey Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm having a L4-S1 ALIF tomorrow. I've already had artificial disk replacements at C5-6 & C6-7 and work in PT, so I'm no stranger to spine surgeries. Any advice?
advertisement

Comments

• hey coley

just want to wish you good luck for tomorrow from a fellow alif l5/s1 person (7 weeks post-op).You will be in up to 5 days all being well.

Take it easy, take all the pain relief they offer, and mobilise when they say you can.Take all offers of help at home too.

Your appetite will not be what it was for a while, abdo bloating etc - get some peppermint oil in warm water to drink, really sorts the griping pains.

I found this operation easier to deal with than my previous posterior surgery, due to no muscles being cut. I also found it can con you into thinking your doing good, as its not as restrictive mobility wise (my experience only), but do be very careful and dont reach for that object no matter how well you begin to feel :) :)

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

carol
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • Hope all goes well for you tomorrow.

I had an ALIF 18 months ago and it's successful.

As Carol said, accept all the pain relief offered and other offers of help.

I had quite a bit of nausea with this surgery and your stomach will be swollen for quite a while.

Have you got a grabber? That will be your best friend for a couple of months. I found a long handled shower sponge helped reach into those difficult parts like between the toes. I also had a dressing stick which had a hook on one end - that helped me pull up my pants.

They'll teach you how to log roll in and out of bed in the hospital.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008