Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Devils Claw

ive been researching devils claw after reading here in the uk that alternative herbal therapy is now going to be regulated like doctor's prescription medication.

Devils claw is claimed to help arthritis and degenerative conditions, claiming to help back pain. It is described as a natural anti imflammatory.

My question. 7 weeks ago i had a l5/s1 fusion, and through reading on here, most are told no to nsaids. my surgeon hasnt even mentioned this to me and i was given nsaids whilst in hospital post op. i stopped them as soon as i left.

i was also told by my surgeon that i would nt need to take extra calcium and vit d for the fusion, but i have decided to take a small amount as at my 6 week check, there was no sign of fusion.

Now, being devils claw is like an anti inflammatory, would you use it after a fusion??

carol x

L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
ALIF l5/s1 2011
Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013

• Hi Carol, I am a herb/vit nut lol ;) I have studied vits & herbs since I was 19 years old, so let's see... about 30 years now.

I studied devils claw with the intent of taking it for myself. After many many hours of research I decided not to take it.

My reasons are IF it agrees with you it can be a great herb, however IF it does not agree with you it can be a very dangerous as in deadly herb!!

The other part of this factor is it can agree with you for awhile and then poof stop agreeing. There is no way to tell if it is disagreeing with you (typically) until your in trouble.

It is a herb I would only recommend anyone take while being under a Drs care that understands this herb very well.

Those are my .2cents ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • thank you for your advice, i feel i need to do some more research now as i really do appreciate your knowledge.

you mention if it doesnt agree it could be dangerous, in what way?

thanks in advance

ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • Stay away from them while fusing. As far as no signs at 6 weeks. Most likely not. More like 3-6 months you'll see something. People who come on here and say they are fused at 6 weeks. I bet money they are full of it. BMP and other bone matrixes do not complete their process in 6 weeks.

Devils Claw. Tried it. It did not help and it will cause some serious upset stomach for some. There is also White Pine Bark. Another one said to reduce inflamation and pain. I never had good results and that did upset my stomach. I threw them all away. You had to take a lot of them to have any effect.

Keep in mind that all these "natural herbs" doesn't mean they aren't bad or dangerous. Since they are not regulated they can cause more harm than man made medicines. Arsenic is a natural herb, doesn't mean you want to take it...
  • Im quite relieved you say that about not fusing at 6 weeks. I was a little disappointed, more so because i'd read peoples experiences where they said they had fused or started to show fusion. My surgeon laughed when i asked him, but we do have a good relationship, so it was a comfortable laugh if you know what i mean.

Im going to stay off them i think, i already have IBS, so my stomach gets upset at anything. Here in the UK, they are being regulated soon, so we will lose a lot of other herbal medicines such as hoodia and a lot of chinese herbs. The good thing is they will have to come with information pamplets detailing if they interact with anything and side effects. can only be a good and long needed action.

thanks all for your advice.
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
  • I was givin some kind of vitamin after my fusion. Just ask the dr if you are concerned if you need it or not. I just now got on the natural herb kick only cause 7 years of no releif with meds. I would not totaly dismiss some of the natural herbs and oils thats been used for years in ancient history. But not while fusing unless dr gives the ok.

With all the chemicals in our foods and un healthy conditions in this day and age its no suprise so many develope so many conditions. There are many herbs oils i found very interesting and have many benefits that works for inflammation and pain. If it was good enough for the romans and indians, kings and so forth its good enough for me.

Sure anything can have a side affect especialy if 1 person might have an alergy to some things. Cant even compare it to the side affects to that comes with every medication we are prescribed. It takes then 30 min to cover the side affects of every prescription drug they advertise on tv,

Are you suffering from a head ache,,, Here take this and live life to the fullest,,, warning might cause bleeding ulcer, suicidel thoughts, constipation,liver failure, if you bleeding from the ear seek medical help, sexual dissfunction, blurry vision,exray vision, rare brain tumers have occured, high blood pressure, sudden low blood pressure, no blood pressure,skin rash, may cause person to get naked in public and dance like a chicken, foot swelling, head swelling, only a few cases of death has been reported so talk to your dr.

You no longer have to suffer from head aches,,,,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I agree with you Alex. Watch these commercials and it's almost comical listening to the laundry list of side effects. Like you said, this new headache medicine also has the side effect of causing death. I suppose that does stop your headache though.... lol

The flip side, and where I see the most caution needed. Herbals are exempt from stating those side effects. Because they are not FDA regulated they can say anything they want, or not. The not is the problem. Then they hype it up with not man made, all natural. That doesn't mean it is safe because it occurs in nature. They "elude" that because it is natural it is therefore safer than prescriptions. That is quite frankly a crock.

Now there are many natural solutions that work quite well and have for centuries. It's separating the marketing hype that is the problem. It's just like the health food industry. Same problems. They make wild claims and many are complete BS.

The other problem with all of these companies in this sector is they are not mandated to a high standard on making the solutions. Their quantities can be wildly off compared to what the bottle says and you have no recourse. Short of throwing it away.

It truly is buyer beware.

Now I take a good multi-vitamin. I also take some protein additives along with BCAA stacks and Creatine. To help with recovery after working out. I find they do help for me and so I use them.

If you find something that works for you after modern science has failed you. Then by all means go for it. Just keep in mind that many of these natural wonder drugs on the market aren't. They did not and do not have to document the side effects.
  • I research my supplements as much if not more then I do my medical drugs.
    Tip* when doing research for a supplement/herb/vit etc. always use the word reviews. Like reviews for Devils Claw. Most of the time you will get first hand posts from people who used them. Of course don't relay just on the reviews but it is a good source.

I also always check with my pharmacist before taking a new supplement and when given a new drug ask her if my supplements will cause a problem. I carry a updated list of my supplements and drugs with me. :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.