Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here back & neck pain upcoming surgery

SplendagrrlSSplendagrrl Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself and say hello! I am 43 years old, had 4 children which are all grown and now have my first grandchild. At 16 was told by a chiropracter that I had the worst back she had seen for someone my age. So have had some kind of problem for years from scoliosis, car accidents, playing softball, having children etc.. But I have been fighting chronic back and neck pain for 4 years. I was online searching for some support and found this forum. It's hard to constantly talk to people about my issues who do not understand what I am going through.

I had a neck herniation and had surgery on it about a year and a half ago. It was somewhat successful. Probably about 70 % But lately it seems to be hurting alot again. The surgery took away my arm pain and stopped my neck from getting stuck all the time but I still have pain with activity.

My main issue right now is severe lumbar back pain. I have done everything possible it seems for the last 3 years and now my neurologist is suggesting lumbar fusion. I do not know yet if it is going to be one or two levels. I have DDD and 2 disk protrusions at l5 and S1. Plus bad right leg
pain which started about a year ago. I cannot walk for 30 minutes when I
start limping and my leg starts buckling on me. I cannot work and just
stay at home. Lately have been very depressed from all the pain, I can
barely function. I am on pain medication all day everyday. When I do any extra activities I pay severly for it for days.

Now after so many years of being on pain medication my mind plays tricks on me. I start wondering if I really need the medicine or if the medicine is making me in pain etc.. Then I try not to take it and I am in such pain I have to take it. I also started thinking maybe I can exercise my way out of this. So started working out while taking pain medicine and after a morning work out I can't move for the rest of the day. It's crazy first you are in pain and start taking pain pills to make it through Dailey life, then after a long time start questioning yourself. does anyone else go through these crazy thoughts?.

Right now I am having a very hard time sleeping, yesterday the pain started in my other hip and leg. So I sleep for two hours on one side then turn and sleep two hours on the other and in-between I have to get up an walk around for a minute. It's getting too much to take.

After all this time of looking for a solution and surgery is suggested now I am questing myself on that too? Anyway sorry to go on so, I look forward to meeting everyone and talking to others going through similar problems.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You've indeed found a great place for support and we can all understand the need to talk to people who understand - non-spiney's just don't and we can't really expect them to.

It's early and I can't post much, but wanted to say Hi before I go to work. I'll be on a lot tomorrow and will post more.

In the meantime, I'm sure many will welcome you and offer advice if there's any to give.

Again welcome - make yourself at home here.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to hear you are starting to suffer from back pain and other pains since your last surgery... this must be very dissapointing! surgery is a very personal decision and one i would always get a second opinion about.. the more confirmation the better! please have a good look around and make yourself at home! you will find us really easy to get along with and someone is always around to chat with! stop by anytime! Jenny :)