Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

daisy maeddaisy mae Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Good News
I got the call today..I have been aproved for disability. Yay..one less thing to worry about now right? Now I can hopefully afford to try accupuncture! :) Makes me sad though. Everone warned me tht I would most likely be denied and have to go through the appeal process. Nope. The lady was really nice, she ended the call like "Dear, you are so young for all this, I hope you start feeling better soon, and take care of yourself".

• It's very difficult being accepted for permanent disability because as you mentioned "yay" and then in the next sentence "Makes me sad though." This is so common and to be sure I have yet to know anyone to win a claim without going through the gamut of emotions that go along with that victory.

I'm very glad that you won the claim, as I am so aware of how much easier it makes the life of the CP patient. Celebrate now, but when you need support from the range of emotions, know that we are here.

But just be happy for today... :)))
  • Congrats. I'm very happy that you got the news you were hoping.
    Sounds like you got the award on the 1st try. Which everyone who has gone thru this, knows can be very diffucult.

Enjoy it and wait for your mail that tells you when SSD started. Cause you ight have more money coming that you dont realize. <:P
  • Daisy Mae, first off, Congratulations on your approval!!! I had to retire via "disability retirement" from the federal government. I was cool I guess until I saw the words "disabled" or "disability retirement approved". It is a smack of reality when an outside entity decides we are disabled. It stings, but then the flip side of the coin, we are better off mentally and financially.

I had similar feelings when I went out in public at first with a cane, and then again using handicap parking areas. We like our lives (and status) to be private, but approval takes that away. It will get better, but it sounds like you're reacting like most of us upon approval. The 'happy' and the 'sad' at the confirmation of "disability..." Congrats!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you all for reassuring me!! I thought I was a bit of a *weirdo* for being sad about it. Of course it IS a good thing but for people like us....it sucks :(

Brenda, you hit the nail on the head about wanting to be private. That is ME and I will go to such extremes and even cause myself pain just to appear *normal* to everone else. Now, I know that isn't doing me any good and it drives my husband mad sometimes but I am scared to deth of appearing weak. Plese no one be offended by that..by NO means is anyone living in chronic pain weak. *I* have very bad self esteem issues and all this has magnified it by a zillion! I have been on a wait list to talk to someone about my feelings forever now..that reminds me, I'll ask my dr what's up with the referral.
    Of topic here..the Neurontin is starting to 'pick' on me a bit..lol. Joking aside, I cn't remember anything and when I am talking, mid sentence I have NO idea what's going on. :( Also, I just started taking Elmiron maybe a month or so go and my hair is really coming out fast! It's hard to say if it is helping my bladder any, I have been on the dreadful IC diet this whole time. UGHHHHHHHH..(my little scream..lol)
    Thanks guys!!! *hug*
  • Daisy mae,

Nodding.. That was the "biggie" with me. The public, my friends, family (family of course already knew) 'seeing' it. Ego wise it is a hard pill if you will to swallow.

For me (cane locked this in), I don't know these people, so their opinions no longer matter to me!!! My close friends and family are the important ones - and most of them get it. "Joe Public" F em...

Now in fairness, we feel that all are watching, and all are judging. Most really only take the casual look and forget about it!!

You're good people Daisy Mae, just be comfortable that you have a financial buffer, and you are still YOU!!! :) *HUGZ*

• *crying* Thank you so much for the kind words! I men that..it really touched me..sniffle...
    I'm soooo happy I found this place!
  • Daisy mae,

You're very Welcome! We as a group here are our extended family, as we get it!! What else is cool, someone is in the spiney circle 24/7 in these parts!! *HUGZ*