Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leaving old doc, ? about new doc and scripts and legality of it all

grayboy79ggrayboy79 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Pain Medications
If i intend to leave my old ortho, must i tell him. I want to know if I would be doing the wrong thing if got my perscriptions from gp, including lortab while my narcotic script was current. I do not intend to fill the script until my old one has run out. My script runs out in 10 days or so and my current doc is being dismissive and i do not intend on seeing him again. I am new to this and I dont want to do anything to jam up either of my doctors. thanks for any info

• You can see other dr should be no problem. Most are refered to pain dr after ortho is done for most ortho not good treating the pain they just do surgery. Most cases anyways. I have changed many pain drs. My contact is over with other dr soon as i sighn another contract with new dr to only get pain meds from him. You do what you have to do. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • If you are opting out of your pain management contract to change Drs it is a good idea to inform the PM that you are canceling the contract as of receipt of the letter and send it registered mail. My Primary care Dr is now taking care of my pain management and the only way he would was once he saw the letter I wrote. I had issues with PM that were unbelievable and a very long story. I documented everything but in handling the canceling of the contract I kept everything professional.
    Sometime that's tough to do, but always wise.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Do not fill a new perscription from another Dr. while still current with your Ortho...

Even though your Ortho is being 'dismissive'..you should send them a certified letter stating that you no longer wish to be a patient there...You should go and pick up copies of your medical records from your Ortho...for a new Dr. to have....You will need to give the office notice and time to get this together.(plus you will be charged a per page fee which is perfectly legal)..

Why do you not want to tell them that you are leaving?

**Did you already go to your GP and get a perscription for Lortab? Did he know that you are being treated and on this medicine from the Ortho?

Your GP will most likely not want to keep prescribing narcotics to you as they do not handle long term pain...this is usually a Pain Management Dr....Just like your Ortho probably was uncomfortable doing this as well...they are there to diagnose you...

The DEA is getting much more strict about having only Dr.s who are medically trained in Pain Management and long term narcotic usage...Most PM's are Anesthesiologists...and spend their entire career and training in medicine and pain treatments...

So many GP's and other Dr.s are going to be phasing out providing long term meds like this...

The more you do things by the book...the easier it will be to get treated and not have any issues...

Especially if you have a pain contract with the Ortho..

I wish you luck!..
  • that tries to cover most things. They don't do ortho but they do take care of pain management. It includes a contract, periodic urinalysis, and you have to be on the meds the Drs of the group voted on for them to handle your pain. I am on a 7 day patch and have breakthrough meds.
    I had to provide all the documentation from ortho and pain clinic and I did send a certified letter to PM Dr telling them I was no longer a patient and sent back to them the unfilled perscription.
    I agree you have to be careful and accept that it's not the Dr but DEA and the Government sticking their nose where it don't belong and that's my health.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • way of changing your pain management doctor is for you to write a letter discontinuing your care with the old doctor , with an effective date and then going to see your new doctor for any prescriptions. Do NOT fill a prescription from your new doctor, until you have sent and given the letter a few days to be recieved and entered in your file, especially if you have a current prescription still active ( within the 30 days window). That, technically is doctor shopping- securing two or more prescriptions from two or more doctors for the same or similiar medication.
  • ok, what is considered "current" cause my surgeon didnt even tell me to schedule another appointment. I have gone to my GP for a second mri, refferals and proper meds. I am not doctor shopping if I am not continuing to go back and fourth between the 2. right? I guess i do have 2 current perscriptions but i am not going back to the surgeon. My gp has reffered me to pm and is perscribing me enough meds to make it to the appointment. I really feel in the right on this one, please let me know if i am wrong. Should I tell my ortho i am not coming back?
  • If your current prescribing doctor is your GP, and he is making the referral to pain management , then once you see the PM doctor, he will have you sign a narcotics agreement, which in part will state that you are only going to get and fill prescriptions given to you by the pain management doctor. After that point, you will not be able to accept prescriptions from your GP for pain medications, for that matter any medications prescribed by your PM doctor. In the event that you have /develop another acute injury or need pain medications, you will need to clear any scheduled medications through your PM's office.
    Does that help?
  • David, you mentioned having two Rx's from two different Drs. You may feel that you are in the right, you may think because of a number of reasons that you are justified in this, but I (well, really the law) assure you that as much as you may believe you are in the right, that you are not. It really does not matter that you are not going back to the surgeons office, what matters is that you did go & fill an Rx from his office, and then another Rx from another Drs office. For the future of your CP management and to keep you from breaking the law, please take the advice that Sandi has given you, as it is sound.

• ok thanks yall, this is all kinda confusing and new to me. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
  • David, look at the title of your thread and let that be your guide.
  • i am 45 year old woman dx'd ddd in 2002, been unemployed for 3 yrs, also have lyphoma in lower spine that keeps coming back and attaches itself to my cns i think, the pain is impressive in this area and if i rub it will swell up and i wont be able to walk for days.

currently on norco 6 tabs per day, sometimes 8, motrin and xanax. tried many other pain killers but keep going back to the norco. when i do painchecks ( go off meds temp) i sometimes get nausea and actually throw up! amazing the pain

traction is by far worth the time, especially if the pt dept does this. accupunture did not aide, nor the chiropractor or the massages, allthough they felt good while getting did not help with long term pain.

• I recently started taking xanax for my anxiety, what a godsend, just like a child that responds to ridlyn i immediately felt great again. i have been taking 2mg per day for a year, every month i end up 7 or 8 tabs short of what i need.

my doctor is the best but will not give me the white bar tabs that are stronger. is there something wrong with feeling great or do they really believe i will become "addicted"?

Im not working, hardly ever drive anymore, i dont see what the problem here is and addiction is just a word the industry uses to keep you from feeling that good i think