Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can I run?

nochoa2929nnochoa2929 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I just learned that I have this and I am 31. I use to go to the gym about 4 times a week. I would do an hour on the arc climber or stair machine. I could run a few miles and also do the elliptical machine. I am not sure if I should continue with this type of vigorous activity. I would also lift weights. Can I continue with this type of activity or will it worsen my condition?
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    Anytime you want to know if you can or can not do a specific activity, you always need to consult with your doctor.

Folks here are not in a position to provide you with advice. The best we can do is talk about our own personsal experiences.

Degenerative Disc Disease is probably the most understood spinal condition. I think the words Degenerative and Disease make it so much worse.
    Many articles refer to it as the graying of our spine.
    Its a natural aging process, for some it can start as early as the mid 20's

Read the following article from the Spine-Health libraries.

Degenerative Disc Disease
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Definitely check with your doctor!

There are options if running is just too rough on your spine, ie elliptical, treadmill. I know nothing is the same as a good run, though.

Also consider your running surfaces, concrete is brutal.

And tho I'm not jogging anymnore, just power walking, I recently learned the value of the right shoes. I read Dr. Bob Arnot's book & realized I'm a terrible heel pounder which is terrible for my back & my knees.

So I got fitted for new running shoes & a heel cushion--what a difference! I'm a bit slower, but my foot isn't pushing off heel first now & I feel the difference.

• I used to run marathons. My fovorites were Maui and the Marine Corps in DC. After my third Marine Corps I got the DDD diagnosis which explained alot of pain and symptoms I had been having. I had to go to a chiropractor at least once a week for the 6 months before the last marathon I ran.
    I have been to 5 ortho surgeons and a neuro and all of them told me no mor running and no lifting any weight above my shoulder. There are plenty of exercise to stay fit and the easiest on my back is the elliptical.
    Good luck to you.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I am no dr. But in my view if you can do it do it. Your body will let you know when you cant no longer do it. Sometimes condition gets worse when you dont do the activity you enjoy. Unless there is a much more serious condition going on that only your dr can find and advise you not to do the activity.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
advertisement