Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fear of Doctors

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Lighten and Brighten
This is just a small little example that illustrates how some people are afraid of their doctors.

This happened to me while waiting on a customer at the wine shop.

Customer I went to the doctor today and he prescribed this medication that I had before and it always made me sick.

Me So, did you tell him that you didnt want that medication and if he could suggest something different?

Customer Oh no, I couldn't do that, he would get made a me, after all he is the doctor.

Me Ok, so, knowing that you hate red wine and it gives you headaches and you asked me to pick a wine out for you and I select a red wine.. What would you do?

Customer Thats crazy, I would tell you no-way, you know I have problems with red wine

Me So you would discuss this with me to communicate your feelings?

Customer Of course

Me Ok, now if that same doctor was driving past this store and while you were walking out he almost hit you... Would you yell and scream at him?

Customer Well, probably not, because if I did that, he might drop me as a patient

Me Ok, now if I was driving by as you were walking out and almost hit you, what would you do?

Customer I'dbe chasing screaming yelling at you calling crazy, etc. You almost killed me!

So what really is the difference????

No, this really didnt happen, but I could easily see this type of conversation going on. For whatever reasons, doctors seem to be above us normal folks. Yes and maybe some of them created that feeling. But I've known so many doctors over the years and they are really not much different than you or I. They had selected a different career path, one that is hard, grueling but there to help patients.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Yep, a lot of patients feel intimidated by their Drs, that is true, and in a lot of ways I can understand that, but at the end of the day.. this is your (or my) body & my health we are discussing, and no one knows my body better than me.

Drs know medicine better than I do & I know me better than they do. The most important thing is communication, and that goes both ways. Regardless of how you may feel about a Dr. personally, if s/he is a non-communicator or if s/he is not listening to you in making your points known & symptoms understood you have to let him/her know and try to get on better footing/rapport. It is essential to have a relationship where you like, understand, and respect each other (maybe not like, but...).

It can be very difficult for people who are timid or shy to be proactive in the Drs office, and I can see where this causes a lot of issues. Good topic!!
  • I guess with me, I've always been an "A+" personality, and am NOT intimidated with whether a doctor will drop me or not. I've had bad guys point guns at my head, and haven't freaked until later in the day, so doctors...sorry, not on my list of worries.

I do fully understand one going through "white coat" syndrome, but me, nope. If the doctor isn't my cup of tea, I let them know...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I must be A- personality cause i always steal something out of the room for making me wait so long. That will show him who is boss.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • When the Nephrologist made rounds at the dialysis clinic where I worked, he would talk with the patients and write orders for the treatment/med that they had discussed. As the charge nurse, I would make rounds with the doctor. :|

After the doctor left, and I was calling the medications in to the pharmacy or making arrangements for other treatments, the patient would tell me that they did not want that med or that treatment. They would never tell the doc that. ~X(

Then I would have to call the doc and explain the situation, and get new orders. It was crazy!! 8}
  • wow, the spammers even make it this far down the list. And, it seems... the "lower" they go, the less likely they are to be able to spell or string 2 words together.

• weird, I only hit it once... but got 2 posts! maybe spam is spreading :(