Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

chronic pain

MsDukesMMsDukes Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello I just joined last night. I have been having pain for well over three months and had an MRI that showed two small bulging disks and one sitting on a nerve in my lower back. I had allot of pain in my neck also so they had x rays done and said I had arthritis and ordered another MRI on my neck that showed 3 more bulging disks, bone spurs and some other stuff that I don't understand yet. I also have pain in my leg, sciatica? I have suffered with Bipolar disorder my whole life and have a "history" of overdose due to dipression not drug addiction and the dr's don't want to prescribe me any narcotic meds for pain. I have been prescribed vicodin and percocet in the past for different reasons but, now that the issue is chronic the dr's don't want to prescribe me anything. The pain is so dibillitating and my quality of life is a joke. Well that is my story in a nutshell and I would really appreciate it if anyone would direct me to information or members who might be able to shed light on my situation. Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Welcome to S.H. forums. Has your Dr. referred you to pain management? Maybe an E.S.I. or other type of injection might help. Pain management Dr's have a lot of other tools in their tool boxes other than just narcotics. I hope this helps.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • You know, this is the very reason I came to spine-health AFTER my surgery, a successful 4-level PLIF in the lumbar region. Success stories never return and it's too bad because those are the people that can help you the most.

I can do two things. First I can tell you that there are alot of people on the Chat board here that have alot of experience and so alot of empathy. Whether or not they can help you in this drug abuse/doctor reluctance I don't know but I do know that they're good people who are honest and empathetic because we've all been there and done that relative to your physical pain and chatting with people like that can help alot.

The second thing I can do for you is ask the doctors on a production we're shooting right now for Discovery on Chronic Back Pain. These are top-level, renowned physicians including physiatrists that donated their time for the production without compensation just because they know not all people can get to top-tier doctors and benefit from their advice. The physiatrists or "pain docs" especially should be able to shed some light on your situation relative to the past abuse issues.

Hope this helps.
  • I just joined myself, have been through what you are going through. Firstly, you can go and have an epidural or some kind of similar procedure to see if the offending disc can be calmed down. I had many epidurals before that no longer worked, but often it can buy you time and give considerable pain relief. This can be done without narcotics. You have to see a pain Dr. or anesthesiologist for that. Secondly, my husband has been in recovery for 28 yrs.(yea!) and has taken limited narcotics after surg. and for his own severe back problems. He knows his limits VERY well and he knows what his limits are. Only you know yourself if the temptation would be too much to even open that door. I personally feel that just because you have had this problem, which sounds significant you still deserve to have your pain dealt with in a compassionate manner. Do you have a Dr. that knows you well? Find someone who can work with you. Unrelinquished pain is impossible to live with sometimes too. Good Luck
  • Hi Jim, yes so far i did get a referal to a pain management and for some reason before my initial interview my appointment was cancelled with a phone call from a staff member stating "We have no services for you.". ??? I called back and left a message for a suppervisor to return my call with an explanation and no one returned my call. The least I expect is for the dr's or these pain management ppl to do is give me direction. I'm so lost. The Ortho I am working with is not offering me any other tools from his tool box or even anyone who can help me. What is E S I ? I am not suicidal and don't believe that giving me some percocet to ease my pain is going to harm me in anyway it's just the opposite it will improve my quality of life by making me feel better and allow me to do things that I used to do, things that I need to do to take care of myself and things that I enjoy doing. But believe me I will also try other non narcotic ways in dealing with this chronic pain. Thanks for your input :)
  • Thanks. It was an incident that didn't even include any narcotics.. I wanted to die(not get high).I know now that I will only die when it is my time to go. I took all my psych meds. My family monitored me for like 2 months then after that I have been on my own. Right now I have like 10 different perscriptions for different things in there that I manage by myself very well and responsibly. Aside from the pain I have everything I ever wanted in life, two beautiful grandsons a nice place to live and lots of things I like to enjoy. It has been 2 and a half years since the last incident and I have been prescribed percocets a couple times since the incident with no problems up until this chronic problem and now nobody wants to help..Let me know how you word the question and what they say and thanks that sounds interesting :)
advertisement