Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to back pain and upcoming surgery

Team4104TTeam4104 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in New Member Introductions
I have read quite a few posts and it seems most people have had pain ongoing for some time. I feel as though I am an odd one out. I was weeding my garden in March of this year and felt a strong twinge in my lower back, I saw my family doc on March 30 and things have progressed to my surgery date on July 12th. I had zero pain before March 27th! I have been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis grade 2, pars defect fracture and bulging disc, all at the L5/S1. I will have 2 screws put in during surgery. Everyone keeps asking me if I am scared, but I'm not sure. I have more anxiety because there is just so much I don't know. Like do I have to stay in the hospital overnight, is there going to be fusion too, is there anything I should be doing ahead of surgery to make my recovery better? Any ideas or hints would be appreciated. Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• 2 screws sounds like fusion to me. If you are having fusion i am sure you will stay in hospital at least a night. You need to ask your dr what surgery he is doing and such. If they already have you set up for surgery dr should of explained all that he is doing and why.

But then again to fuse a level i think they have to use 4 screws but not sure. I had 4 screws when i had 1 level fusion the l4l5 level. I know cause i have the screws when it was removed after bone fused. Unless the other 2 screws fell out of my head. Just call the dr or nurse to ask what the name of the surgery that dr is doing. Good luck and again welcome. Alex
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i would first like to ask you if you have gotten a second opinion?? and then i would like to know if you have tried any type of conservative treatments before you go to surgery?? of course i am no doctor, but i would always try conservative measures first if at all possible.. this might mean pt or injections or any number of different options a pain management doctor would offer you.. these are just some ideas i haven't heard you mention.. be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" section which will have lots of answers to your questions.. there are some things you can do before surgery like work on your core!! that is so important! good luck to you!! i wish you a successful recovery if that is your final option.. stop by the forum during your recovery, it can make those long days go by alot faster!! Jenny :)