Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Footwear

Pain_is_mePPain_is_me Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Lower Back Pain
My lower back pain and sciatic pain can be excruciating when I stand up and walk. For the last year I have been wearing nothing but crocs on my feet because they seem to relieve some of the jarring sharp pains I get when I walk. Even in my house I have to wear them as I have alot of hard tile floors, even on the carpet each step shoots pain across my lower back.

Does anyone know of any other footwear that is good for lower back pain? If/when I go back to work I cannot wear crocs as I work in an office with strict dress code - no sneakers, flip-flops, crocs, etc... I have to wear something resembling a dressy shoe. Has anyone tried Berkenstocks? Part of me doubts I will ever get back to the office since sitting is harder to do than standing and walking but I would like to have be prepared for the possibility (I really, really want to go back to work)

I've heard some people say crocs are really bad for your back but my physiotherapist has no problem with them. Anyone have a different perspective from a professional?
advertisement

Comments

• Wow, just found a link to these shoes that are supposed to be awesome (should be for the price)... has anyone tried zcoil shoes

http://www.zcoil.com/
  • and the best ones are what are comfortable for you.

I personally live in my MBT shoes. They are the ugliest shoes known to man! They cost a small fortune, but if you read about them, the philosophy they adopt makes perfect sense.

They take quite a bit of getting used to and if you do stand up you will need to move side to side quite a lot as there is no centre of gravity so you will feel like you're falling over if you don't keep moving. The best thing about walking in them is that your heel NEVER gets 'jarred' when you put your heel down first to take your steps.

I'm actually quite a heavy walker, if you know what I mean. When I'm not wearing my MBTs I really notice the difference when I put my heels down first, it feels like my spine is taking all the impact. MBTs take that away completely as they don't have a flat heel, it's curved.

Anyway, have a look at their website, but be 100 per cent sure first before you buy. You shouldn't be able to buy them over the Internet - a good stockist should only sell them to you if you have been fitted first and explained how to wear them. They are strange at first.

I'm now on my 4th pair!

Please let us know what kind of shoes you buy in the end (and why), so we can all have a look in case they will be good for any of us on SH.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Have you looked at the crocs website? They have some dressier shoes. I won't give up my crocs.
  • I am in love with my vibram 5 finger shoes. While they get quit the attention, I love them, and got the idea from my foot surgeon. If you want to find what shoes would be best for you seek out a qualified podiatrist, and or go to a speciality store. For example we have a private owned store in my city that sells all the custom style shoes, which is wear I got my vibram's from. But it might be worth it, before you sink a lot of money in something you can't wear. Walk at home if you have carpet for a extended period of time, to be sure they will work. I have issues with so many shoes including crocs as my feet are so narrow, so it takes a lot to find a pair of shoes. Most orthodic shoes are wider, and just rub my heel.
  • Like Tamtam, I am in LOVE with my FiveFingers shoes by Vibrams. I now have 5 different pairs of them. They take a little bit to learn the tricks to get them on quickly, but once you pass that hurtle, then its good. I find that the design of these shoes make me stand and walk more normally than conventional shoes.

Tamtam: They now have thin FiveFinger socks that are pretty comfy. Have you tried them yet? In Florida, if you are wearing socks, you're dressed up! (G)

My first pair I bought retail, and they cost me just over $100.00, the rest I got off of eBay on average of around $50.00! You just have to look over those auctions (pictures) really closely to be sure you are getting the real deal - there are a lot of counterfeits out there! eBay is pretty good about getting those kind of sellers out, but a few slip in.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.