Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I Apologize if I posted in the wrong one. Right now I have severe pain and feel the treatment is at a stand still. I have many painful conditions that I will list. My entire word is upside down. According to stats I should be completely better, but im not. I don’t know what else it could be. I feel it’s the L5-S1 causing the problem, depending on the position your in for the test can hide a problem
The first MRI 12-8-10 showed this
-right lateral disc bulge/protrusion at L4-L5 with mild inferior foraminal stenosis, Small annular fissure at this location
-focal central disc bulge at L5-S1 not causing neural compression
-The Second Mri 3-15-11 (after surgery microdiskectomy L4-L-5
-Mild disc bulge L5-S1 appears stable
-There is stable mild facet hypertrophy at L4-5 and L5-S1 there fluid signal throughout the facet joints in the lumbar spine, which appears similar to prior study suggesting osteoarthritic effusion
-Postoperative changes with significant postoperative fibrosis extending into the right neural foramen L4-5 causing inferior foraminal. No central canal stenosis. The enhancement does extend into the right lateral recess,
• Pain scale 1-10
On average pain is at a 5-6 with medication, without medication pain is 8+. I noticed the pain medication only last for three hours. The next three hours I am useless. The Lyrica is helping with the sharp radiant pain, but not as good when I was first on it a few months ago. The Robaxin is somewhat helping with the spasms. I did not benefit from the LESI injections. I finally got Physical therapy approved again and started on May 16, 2011. Also my blood pressure has been elevated. This was confirmed by Dr. Bond’s office on May 19, 2011. I do not have a history of high blood pressure
• Surgery- After the surgery, I began to feel great. Most of my leg symptoms were gone. I had severe back pain. I am not sure when the painful symptoms returned. Overall I do feel the surgery helped some of my symptoms.
• Primary complaint- sever pain across lower back weakness, radiating down the right buttocks into the right leg, right groin stopping at the knee. Pain is described as burning, aching, deep, and sharp. Severe muscle spasms feeling like the worse trolley horse ever. My back is sensitive to touch at times. You can feel knots in the muscle. I think this due to muscle spasms. When I sit on a toilet or a chair that’s low, occasionally my right leg will go numb. (Note- before surgery pain was the same area but constant continuing down right leg into the toes with pins and needles, numbness, stinging, sharp electrical pain all the time).
When I stand or sit down to long 10-15 minutes the pain starts to get worse, the trolley horses become severe and frequent. After I walk for a long distance, my right upper leg and buttocks begins to spasm. Frequently, when I get up from sitting down or laying down the worse pain forms in my lower back feeling like pressure and my back is being torn apart. Occasionally I lost bladder function, and my leg will go out. Pain level is 10+ when this happens. Last time this happened I had my child Wyatt in my arms, I lost my standing and almost crushed him. Due to this my wife and I don’t feel comfortable with my child being alone with me. So when my wife goes to work the child goes to the baby sitter and at night his grandparents.
• Scar tissue-When I had right shoulder surgery I had lots of scar tissue. When I had the pilonidal cyst surgery, I had lots of scar tissue. The wound care Doctor had to perform a second surgery to remove a lot of scar tissue.
• Secondary complaint- I don’t sleep well. On a good night I will sleep 2 -3 hours. Mostly, I will not sleep for 2 days then I pass out for 6-9 hours. Ever since the accident I have been getting bad (headaches- Pain scale 5), my right arms spasms. I have aches in my left leg above and below the knee, shoulders, neck, and sometimes sharp pain in my chest. Pain scale- 1, sometimes a 2. I feel depressed, stressed, exhausted and overcome. My quality of life is upside down and sucks. I am not sure if the secondary symptoms are a result from my mental status.
• Daily routine-in the morning or when I wake up I can hardly move. My lower back and right leg is stiff and on fire. I take my medication, start heat and ice therapy and wait. When it kicks in, I start to do some stretches and walk around. I return to a laying position with pillows under my knee and under my back along with the heating pad. This position is my rest position. throughout day or night I will try doing me house hold items and spend time with wife and child, I also start numerous exercises stretching and minor stretching
• Questions and Options-
Is this nerve damage from the initial injury?
Could this be the L5-S1? The MRI showed a bulge but not touching a nerve, could this be missed by the MRI?
Could this be Muscle Skeletal?
Could this be Facet Joints?
Could this be an illness or disease?
Do I have Failed back Syndrome?