Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Burning Lump on L side of Abdomen!!!! HELP

SGoodySSGoody Posts: 90
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm almost 5 wks post-op and about a week ago I noticed a lump on the L side of my abdomen...I wouldn't have even known it was there but my pants rubbed against it and made it have a burning sensation...like the nerve pain I have in my L arm...:-??

It's not noticeable from just looking at the skin...you have to push down to feel it...but if I do that it burns like heck and sends burning sensations all over...OUCH..so I try to leave it alone as much as possible...

I'm thinking things are waking up and coming back to life or I have a nerve root that it irritated...I have an appt with the MD this next week and am going to have her take a look at it even if it means letting her push on it...OUCH...

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen??

• Don't waste a minute to ask your doctor to prescribe an Ultra Sonography of the abdomen to get the real picture of the organs there. Hurry. My son was a victim of overlooking this by his attending doctors.
  • I agree to to the doctor and/or call them. Don't wait until Monday...call the on-call service.

It could be a hernia but I'm not a doctor so just throwing a guess out there.
  • Make sure that you don't have a fever also.

• Thanks you guys for all the support and care...I ended up seeing my Primary MD and had an US...it is a 2 cm enlarged lymph node...Cancer was ruled out...they think it is inflamed because of all the nerve damage on that side and it is "working hard" to help get me healed up...I have a F/U appt and will have it measured again...BUT if there are ANY changes in my "lump" I'm to call her...I think I might name it...lol...
  • Sarah,

Last November my hubby and I were getting ready to go to a family reunion when my hubby bent over in pain. He went to his doctor the next day with the thought that he had a hernia in his abdomen. Like your (though he didn't have a lump) diagnosis, he too they found had a very swollen Lymph node.

They gave him antibiotics and a mild pain medication, and he was pretty much pain free after about a week. This is a perfect example how one medical issue can mimic another. I'm very happy that like my hubby, you too had just a swollen lymph node, and hopefully it will be back to normal soon. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yeah it was kinda scarey but nurses are the worse nurses for themselves...lol...I can nurse anyone else...but when it comes to myself I'm like 'Oh it'll go away'
    Yeah it didn't...then I was like OMGosh what else...I'm recovery from the Neck Surgery..uggg...on the phone she was talking Shingles(which is what I actually thought it was going to be) brought on by chronic nerve irritation!!!
    I think the worse part was after the exam and US cause it was irritated again and burned me for the rest of that day and the next day...then kinda went back to what it was doing before...it doesn't like being touched by my sweats either!!!
  • Sarah,

Back in 2002 I was assigned to patrol (helicopter) for various venues for the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City Utah and surrounding locals. One morning during my pre-flight (inspection of the aircraft), I was checking the rotor head and partially lost my grip. I was lucky and grabbed the transmission cowling with my fall stopping with a jolt. I felt a sudden sharp pain on my right side (just above where the appendix is) and then it quickly subsided to an annoying ache.

Fast forward, 4 weeks later I am back home, still have that ache. I called my GP, and she felt I sustained a inguinal hernia. She scheduled an ultrasound for the following week. The day before my ultrasound for this hernia, I collapsed in unbelievable pain at home. The first ER did ultrasound, CT, blood work and some other things, said I had a mass and sent me home!! My husband due to me having a high fever (104) 3 hours later, we went to another ER. Within 2 hours had emergent surgery to which they removed a 3lb + tumor and another little one next to it! The surgeon was amazed the other hospital ER sent me home! He said it had strangulated and I was bleeding internally and probably wouldn't have made it to the end of the day!! Sweet...made my day!

It's scary how many things act like a hernia, and there is something totally different actually going on! So its not just nurses that 'self diagnose' wrong, but my GP thought I had a hernia initially too.

As for shingles. My friends wife was battling large tumor lung cancer and she contracted shingles. I never had chickenpox, so I had to stay away from her. From what her husband told me, it is some of the worse skin nerve pain you can get. Most of hers was on her chest and the top side of her back. Ouch! No thanks! I'm glad you in fact do not have that nasty affliction Sarah!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.