Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica - 4 years of suffering.

empirecookeempirecook Posts: 1
Well first of all, i would like to introduce myself. My name is Michael/mike, 18 (19 in a week) and trainee chef/butcher.

The reason why i have joined this site is because i would like to know what routes i can take with my sciatica? Or just general things i should know in the future?

I have had sciatica for around 4 years (starting when i was 15) but was just thought to be normal growing pains. And then a year later, i realized that the pain was getting more intense so i went to GP and was ordered for x-ray, and this had shown clear. Last year, i had noticed that this pain was getting more and more intense in my left leg to the point it started affecting my studying and walking. So was referred to go physiotherapist, which i have not benefited from at all.

And so earlier this year, it has hit me that the sciatica is now affecting my future career of becoming a chef/butcher because i am absolute agony whenever i stand, the physiotherapist has said that physio is clearly not helping so i have been referred to neurosurgeon in guy's hospital.

The medication i am currently on:

Amitryptaline - To get to sleep (otherwise it takes me 2-3hours to get to sleep because pain is so intense), And for being depressed Muppet, because i feel very restricted in what i can do and it is restricting me from getting a job.
Co-codamol - For pain relief, but doesn't relieve pain 100%
Declofenic sodium - For pain relief, but also doesn't relieve pain.

So what can you suggest i do?

Many thanks.

• Hi Mike and welcome to SP :)

First do you know what is causing your sciatic issues?

Have you had a MRI? If yes what are the findings? If no, why not?

I would think there is better pain control then what you are getting.

Are you seeing a PM ( pain manager Dr )?

I feel for you as the owner of a small commercial cleaning biz who had/has sciatic issues, it was pure agony!! Truthfully I don't think it matters what your job is when you have a sciatic pain - it's always a issue.

Which is why I am asking what your injury is, what long term care does your Dr see you getting?

Any mention of surgery?

You are just a the beginning of a career and need to get this corrected or controlled to some level.

Are you in the USA?

I know I asked a lot of questions, but in order to try to help you I need some more info please.

I too take Amitryptaline for sleeping.

I will keep an eye on this thread for your responses, and will try to help you with info the best I can :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.